Let's be real: your ma's and pa's will like just about anything you box up and send their way this year. But that's not to say you shouldn't put a little effort in. Hit up these local businesses and they'll walk with something fab.
The Guardian's parents for the holidays are Mary Camilang and artist Sarah Sass Biscarra-Dilley
VICTORINOX SERRATED KNIVES, ALL UNDER $8
What better place to replenish your favorite cooks' supply than this mom and pop shop in North Beach?
Columbus Cutlery, 358 Columbus, SF. (415) 362-1342
RECYCLED TELEPHONE CABLE BANGLES, $1; RINGS, $3
Imported from South Africa, these recycled gems are great for parents who like a little funk and flair.
Lava9, 542 Hayes, SF.
SOU SOU SOCKS, $10
Hyacinth print? Color block motif? Rock your parent-peoples' worlds with these sure-to-be-found-wacko footsies.
New People, 1746 Post, SF. www.newpeopleworld.com
JARS IN VARIOUS TYPES AND SIZES, $5-10
We all dream of a perfectly organized kitchen, but your 'rents may just be settled enough for that to become a reality. Snag them some Masons from a superlative vintage cookware store.
Cookin', 339 Divisadero, SF.
FENNEL AND SALT BLEND, $8
Encourage your pop's inner gourmand by introducing him to the glories of Ferry Building shopping. Far West Fungi also sells a mean mushroom log, if you think papa is down to grow his own caps.
Far West Fungi, 1 Ferry Building No. 34, SF. www.farwestfungi.com
ZUCCHINI DOG TOY, $9.50
Your parents' new kid (y'know, that Boston terrier that now lives in your childhood room) will be thrilled to bits by this durable, Bay made veggie plushie.
Most Commented On
- I see nothing but objections - July 11, 2014
- FIx the potholes. - July 11, 2014
- "Let's do it for Harvey!" - July 11, 2014
- The good witches of music tech - July 11, 2014
- Government Interference - July 11, 2014
- If you're underwater on your mortgage in San Francisco - July 11, 2014
- Just wondering - July 11, 2014
- Lawyers love Campos - July 11, 2014
- Recology contract - July 11, 2014
- Affordable defined - July 11, 2014