Marriage equality advocates hope the US Supreme Court definitively ends the long quest for justice
Like many observers, Harris speculated that Justice Kennedy is the likely swing vote if the court reaches a 5-4 ruling on the issue, and some have speculated that Chief Justice Roberts could also be a surprisingly liberal vote on the issue, as he was earlier this year in upholding Obamacare. And the advocates say their optimism is reinforced by the long and meticulous case for marriage equality that advocates put together in the courtroom of federal Judge Vaughn Walker, whose 2010 ruling the Ninth Circuit upheld.
"We worked really hard to put in the best possible case," Stewart said, while Herrera said, "I can think of no better case to take up than this case...The confidence level of all of us is high."
Yet even if it turns out that there are a few more turns to navigate before justice prevails on what Harris called "the civil rights struggle of our time," the advocates are pledging to win marriage equality in California next year, even if that means going back to the ballot. "We're going to win this fight one way or another," Sup. Scott Wiener said at the press conference, with Sup. David Campos later adding, "the question is whether the Supreme Court chooses to be on the right side or history or the wrong side of history." It was a theme that Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom — who started us down this path with his unilateral decision as mayor to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples — echoed in public statement he released: "Today's announcement starts the clock towards the final decision for California. History will one day be divided into the time before marriage equality and the period that follows. And thankfully, we will be on the side of history worthy of being proud of."
Most Commented On
- Ewww A Slapfest! - December 11, 2013
- Who Cares About Oakland? - December 11, 2013
- https://www.youtube.com/watch - December 10, 2013
- Google bus video - December 10, 2013
- oh help help - December 10, 2013
- Corsets China Manufacturers - December 10, 2013
- Actually San Francisco is the envy of the entire country. - December 10, 2013
- Fatshion - December 10, 2013
- Wholesale Cheap Sexy Lingerie - December 10, 2013
- Thank you for being so honest - December 10, 2013