Small businesses gird for high fees after HANC closure
"I don't like to be in the clean neighborhood with the white picket fence and suits and ties," Kazzouh said. "That's not a real life. Its a very fake life."
Even some of the ritzier stores along Haight St. aren't bothered by the homeless population there. Firras Zawaideh, owner of Liquid Experience on Haight, sells high end (expensive) alcohol that few homeless people can afford.
He said he thinks only the transplants and new folks to San Francisco are bothered by them.
"I'm a native San Franciscan, from the Sunset [district]," Zawaideh said. "We're the ones who don't hate the homeless. Its all the transplants from New York and the midwest who complain about it."
Zawaideh already handles bottle and can buy-back through his store, though he said that no one has ever taken advantage of it. But with HANC closing, he dreads the idea of people bringing cans and bottles en masse to his store.
"Say on a busy Friday night someone comes in with a cart full of recyclables," he said. "Then what? I have to help them out too?"
The mobile recycling center would exempt Zawaideh of that responsibility. But if neighbors of HANC complained about the homeless population, would the same customers cause a problem for the mobile center as well?
Rodriguez said he wouldn't speculate on if the homeless population that now uses the Haight recycling center would follow the food trucks around as well.
"I think we'll have to take it as it comes," Rodriguez said. Though he wanted this to be clear: "Not everyone that participates, frankly, is a homeless person."
Fred Kazzouh was dubious that the homeless population would go away with HANC's closure. "If HANC goes away, the homeless won't go with them," Kazzouh said. "The homeless will just have less people fighting for them."
Most Commented On
- It's easy to see why you need - March 17, 2014
- Exactly. - March 17, 2014
- I've seen words like "sharks", "hogs", "snakes", "vultures" and - March 17, 2014
- Enough animosity to have a commonly accepted - March 17, 2014
- exactly - March 17, 2014
- True, and in fact the word "progressive" itself us devoid of any - March 17, 2014
- Greg, of course YOU cannot think of any other profession that - March 17, 2014
- Laws to stop you harming others are reasonable - March 17, 2014
- Correlation is not causation. - March 17, 2014
- What? - March 17, 2014