Appetite: Ringing in 2013 with notable new pairings
Eat with: Chef Justin Deering added on a few Spanish inspired dishes to accompany sherry cocktails or half bottles of sherry, like gambas a la plancha (shrimp in garlic and lemon), juicy albondigas (beef-pork meatballs), and sherried mushrooms ($5-8).
5 Romolo Place, SF. (415) 398-1359, www.15romolo.com
JASPER'S CORNER TAP
Bar manager Kevin Diedrich and crew produced another all-star cocktail menu this season at Jasper's Corner Tap. One of the most unusual, savory drinks you'll run into anywhere is Diedrich's Genki ($13), inspired by a dish he recently had at Makoto in DC. With a base of Del Maguey Vida mezcal balanced by Partida Blanco tequila and Combier orange liqueur, Diedrich adds Togarashi syrup, lime, egg white and Matcha salt. Genki is simultaneously spicy, perky, refreshing.
Though there's many a joy (don't miss the creamy-but-light, floral Rum Shaker, seamlessly mixing Bacardi 8 Rum, Shipyard Pumpkin Ale, lime, pumpkin syrup, cream, egg white, orange flower water), one of the most playful drinks is a bottled Here Comes the Fuzz! ($11). Charred peach is infused in Jasper's house bourbon, bottled with Manzanilla sherry (sherry dominates this season!), honey, lemon, pomegranate molasses, peach bitters and Angostura Bitters. Fizzy and vivacious, charred peaches and sherry imbue a gorgeous, nutty hue.
Eat with: With the invigorating drinks above, a trio of deviled eggs ($8 or $4 each) is appropriately light but satisfying. Though deviled eggs seem to be everywhere the last couple years, this trio stays fun with heirloom tomato caprese, "Caesar salad", chipotle-romesco.
401 Taylor, SF. (415) 775-7979, www.jasperscornertap.com
Subscribe to Virgina's twice-monthly newsletter, The Perfect Spot, www.theperfectspotsf.com
Most Commented On
- Willie Brown - May 24, 2013
- That girl's parents may or - May 24, 2013
- Yes... - May 24, 2013
- We love Johnny Angel - May 24, 2013
- Then why are so many - May 24, 2013
- JA a welcome new member of the team! - May 24, 2013
- The problem when you start parsing peoples' views to determine - May 24, 2013
- Yes, I thought GM should have been allowed to fail as well. - May 24, 2013
- Why Would I Be "Tolerant" of Intolerance? - May 24, 2013
- GOP'ers don't hate gays at all. Many GOP'er are gay. - May 24, 2013