Spiced ribs and dreamy Natchez: the Mission BBQ makes a tasty comeback
In addition to beer, Southpaw founder-manager Edward Calhoun's American whiskey selection and cocktails make fanatics like me smile. Growing up in his father's North Carolina bar, Calhoun honed bar chops in three cities that know how to drink well: Savannah, New Orleans, San Francisco. Playful balance exemplifies the cocktails ($9), whether a Rye Old Fashioned sweetened by pecan syrup or Rescue Blues: smoky Scotch and Combier Rouge dancing with cocoa nib syrup. My favorites? Mishi's Regret No. 2, hot with habanero, smoky with Mezcal, brightened by lemon and cassis, or cheekily-named Tom Haverford (Aziz Ansari's character on my beloved Parks & Recreation) where sarsaparilla-root beer notes of Root liquor intermingle with lemon and Shiraz wine. Get educated with whiskey flights ($12-16) grouped in themes like Peated American Single Malts or Bay Area Whiskey, or flights featuring a craft distillery like High West.
Gracious founder-manager Elizabeth Wells, an Alabama native, sets Southpaw's downhome tone. She moves about the restaurant, attending to needs of each table. Staff follows her lead, ready with a smile, a platter of 'que, and a glass of bourbon. Down home, indeed.
Southpaw BBQ 2170 Mission, SF. (415) 934-9300, www.southpawbbqsf.com
Subscribe to Virgina's twice-monthly newsletter, The Perfect Spot, www.theperfectspotsf.com
Most Commented On
- Why is there all this denial - December 18, 2013
- 24-593 Federation Drive, San Francisco, CA - December 18, 2013
- Web Development & Design Company - December 18, 2013
- NEWSGAADI - December 18, 2013
- Yes, and their comments are - December 18, 2013
- story of the year - December 18, 2013
- Wholesale Leggings China - December 18, 2013
- One of the major negative - December 18, 2013
- Where did he say that "all - December 18, 2013
- You have this intense - December 18, 2013