Information, please - Page 3

The Bay Area leads the revolution in information sharing. So why is it still so hard to get basic public records in San Francisco?

IMAGE VIA CREATIVE COMMONS

"As newspaper jobs were being cut, there was less governmental accountability reporting," Morisy told us. So he teamed up with a business partner and fashioned a web-based tool that generates and files information requests based on what users are curious about. "The one thing I like to tell people is that you have this right. But it's like a muscle — if you don't use it, it gets weaker," Morisy said. "And I do think a lot of the pushback on public records laws ... is because people aren't fighting as much as they used to, because newsrooms don't have the budgets to sue."

After studying open-records laws in all 50 states to figure out how best to craft a legally binding request, Muck Rock set up customized infrastructure with an online submission system that charges users $20 per five requests. "One of our users requested a bunch of documents regarding comic books in the 1950s. The FBI had a huge file on comic book artists," he noted.

Even as this start-up tries to rekindle interest in public records, Sunshine is coming under attack across the country. "Cost is usually the big bogeyman that they try and trot out," Morisy explained — but he sees transparency as the best safeguard against political corruption. "So it costs $200 to respond to a public records request," he said. "That's so much cheaper than having somebody embezzle $200,000."

Comments

Just got back a sunshine request from the MTA for all emails on the "Bicycle Strategy," a document that the MTA pulled out of its, er, hat.

All I got was a CDROM of enormous PDF portfolios that have scanned image versions of the emails encapsulated into PDF. This creates a new public record from an existing public record, the text email, something that the Sunshine Ordinance says the departments are not required to do.

There is no way to take these lumps of data, index them and analyze them chronologically. There is one PDF that contains 15 text emails and takes up 60mb on disk.

Posted by marcos on Mar. 06, 2013 @ 8:11 am

I can find what I need, but do not need most of it.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 06, 2013 @ 8:47 am

Here's a start

find /path -name '*.pdf' -ls -exec pdftotext {} - \; | grep "your query"

Posted by Chris Pratt on Mar. 06, 2013 @ 12:37 pm

They provided PDF portfolios of email bodies. It is impossible to select text from the PDF, although each email can be saved individually with minimal metadata.

I want the full headers of the original public documents in industry standard default MBOX format so that I can create a database that allows for indexing, searching and chronological review.

Posted by marcos on Mar. 06, 2013 @ 1:14 pm

to then cause trouble for the city?

Ever sue anyone? Did you notice how in discovery they sent you 50 packing boxes full of paper docuemtns what would take you a lifetime to go thru?

You cannot reasonably expect others to help you make your case.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 06, 2013 @ 1:29 pm

Because the law is clear on this, that the public has the right to public records in their native format.

Posted by marcos on Mar. 06, 2013 @ 2:31 pm

Jason Grant Garza here ... wow, ANOTHER ARTICLE on TRANSPARENCY, SUNSHINE and ACCOUNTABILITY ... what a WONDERFUL FARCE. What do I mean ... shall we look at the MINISTRY of SUNSHINE ( google my name to read all the articles on the CITY"S SHILL and how they are ineffective ... did the BOS CLOSE THEM DOWN for over 6 months ... were the VICTIMS to die in the NUCLEAR WINTER ? )

Yes. it is a WONDERFUL ILLUSION like JUSTICE. the RULE OF LAW and HUMANITY. Shall I speak to you about when I sunshined the Department of Public Health over who ACCREDITS them for patient/medical care and DPH could NOT provide the CORRECT information and the SUNSHINE TASK Force informed me that they COULD NOT make DPH produce something it did not HAVE? Imagine DPH does NOT know who accredits them for patient/medical care. Why, so they can be protected by illusion as was the BOY SCOUTS during the BOY SCOUTS LAWBREAKING ACTIVITY by the POLICE, COURTS, OFFICIALS, etc. Don't believe me ... look at this youtube video regarding a FALSE (CRIMINAL FRAUD) restraining order that DPH claimed in order to deny me access and accommodation, medical treatment, followup, etc on 8/15/2012 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cP3jCmJFRo and then watch me go to the LAPDOGS (Sheriff) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk7xpxL8QjI who tell me to go BACK to the LAWBREAKERS (DPH) and on 12/19/2012 they (DPH) break the LAW again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFd-KtS8Zss .

Yes, if you look at the youtube videos ... you see the TREATMENT by the DA, the failing SFPD and my continuing AGAINST all odds ... just like I did when DPH broke FEDERAL LAW in 2001, had my case thrown out of FEDERAL COURT (C02-3485PJH) with TESTILYING and FRAUD in 2003 and in 2007 signed a settlement/confession with the OFFICE of INSPECTOR GENERAL admitting fault and guilt http://myownprivateguantanamo.com/settle1.html YET leaving their INNOCENT VINDICATED VICTIM for DEAD. Note it has started again ... since I still have NOT gotten an answer form either the SHERIFF nor SFPD as to who enforces and arrest for MEDICAL LAW VIOLATION as I have been demonstrating in the youtube videos. HERE is your TRANSPARENCY and NOTE the RESULTS ... sort of like the RESULTS for the four supervisors found GUILTY of OFFICIAL MISCONDUCT by the SUNSHINE TASK FORCE (Ministry of SUNSHINE) in case # 11048 for an ORDER in 2011.

Shall I show you what I got from David Chui's office regarding CIVIL GIDEON with their false and ineffective deadend lead to the SF BAR ASSOCIATION who after looking at the YOUTUBE videos told me that there was NO LAWYER who could help. Yes, the ILLUSION is GREAT, the deceit and inhumanity rival it but MOST of ALL ... the ENTIRE PROCESS is RIGGED and the INTELLIGENCE FIXED to give the appearance of correctness. Shall I tell you about the SUNSHINE to DPH in which I was denied my medial records with their false claim of HIPPA and their expert and city attorney advise that I was incorrect only to back down YET not be accountable in front of SUNSHINE ??? I have those records also inclusive of me following up with SUNSHINE to correct and being LEFT for DEAD ... why not? They (SUNSHINE) got the incorrect information ... based the incorrect decision upon it and when I tried to correct again was denied so that the "picture and framing" could be represented as help when it was the EXACT OPPOSITE and cover for DPH. This is the SHILL action by the MINISTRY of SUNSHINE to tire, vex, and annoy so that you will give up and go away.

Yes, the TRANSPARENCY proves FRAUD, DECEIT and NO incentive to change since as I stated ... what is NOT can be represented as what is and WHAT is can be represented as they ( the risk managers ) interpret and spin the TRUTH. Remember the WEAPONS of MASS DESTRUCTION that lead to WAR yet no consequence for the FRAUDSTERS ...

For more TRANSPARENCY on how the city works ... go to http://www.myownprivateguantanamo.com or go to youtube and type in Jason Garza.

Keep drinking the KOOL AID, ENJOY and KNOW you are NEXT. Here's a good example ... DPH BREAKS THE LAW with BOGUS STAYAWAY ORDER http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFd-KtS8Zss and the SFPD WILL NOT TAKE a police report/incident report in order to arrest and hold liable and accountable http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHuQi_I8e4E and THEN has the NERVE to ask me if there is SOMETHING WRONG with me ... how much more can I be transparent regarding the FAILED/RIGGED methodology?

Posted by Jason Grant Garza on Mar. 06, 2013 @ 9:00 am

Grestso ncie sposo well!

Posted by essay-writing-site.co.uk on Mar. 06, 2013 @ 2:57 pm

Test

Posted by Guest on May. 18, 2013 @ 1:57 pm

Also from this author

• Police provide explanation of Bernal Heights Park shooting at emotional town hall meeting

• San Francisco's untouchables

Is San Francisco trying to help the homeless -- or drive them away?

• Draining the tank

Students push UC system to divest from fossil fuels, joining an international movement gathering soon in San Francisco