Seattle's Pony Time just wants to have fun -- LA punks the Bronx, and Dallas gospel-funk act the Relatives will melt faces. Plus: Rank/Xerox at El Rio!
The haunting album as a whole pays tribute to loved ones that died during the making of the record (actual ghosts), along with her current Bay Area home, and her upbringing in Colorado (emotional ghosts), and features accompaniment by Robert Shelton (of DRMS) on keyboards, Andrew Maguire (Honeycomb) on vibraphone and percussion, James Riotto (the Moanin Dove) on bass, Jeremy Harris on guitar, pianos, and string arrangements, and Ezra Lipp on drums. The LP is available for purchase/download on her Bandcamp page
Jittery San Francisco punk trio Rank/Xerox plays live far less as of late since one of its members moved down to LA, which is a damn shame, because the DIY band always puts on a good, loud show. With Violent Change, Pure Bliss.
Sat/9, 9pm, $7. El Rio, 3158 Mission, SF. www.elriosf.com
You remember the Bronx, the hyped-up, hyper-masculine, swaggering LA punk band whose 2003 self-titled debut exploded with that cover of a blood-dripped mouth spelling out the band's name (probably one of the last covers ingrained in your brain from the waning days of ye olde Virgin Megastore or Tower Records). The butch band returns this month with new album, IV, its first in five years — and yes, it's just as blistering, and face-melting as ever. With Flogging Molly.
Sat/9, 7:30pm, $32.50. Fox Theater, 1807 Telegraph, Oakl. www.thefoxoakland.com
THE RELATIVES AND THE JAMES HUNTER SIX
And speaking of face-melting...fire-and-brimstone gospel-funk outfit the Relatives will be in the Bay this weekend too. This is an entirely different kind of melt though. The long-running Dallas, Texas act (which formed in 1970) just this year finally released its debut LP, The Electric Word. Never has five singers preaching the gospel sounded so psychedelic. The band opens for Grammy-award winning rhythm and blues act the James Hunter Six, which recently released third LP, Minute By Minute (GO Records/Fantasy).
Sat/9, 9pm, $25. Bimbo's, 1025 Colombus, SF. www.bimbos365club.com.
Most Commented On
- You nailed it. - April 16, 2014
- You nailed it. Faculty gets - April 16, 2014
- This is the agency Tim Redmond wants to charge with purchasing - April 16, 2014
- Campos will push for vacancy control if he gets in the Assembly - April 16, 2014
- Guess the potholes in the - April 16, 2014
- Wait a sec. I know texting - April 16, 2014
- CA taxes capital gains as if it were income - April 16, 2014
- Federal criminal indictment of PG&E doesn't go far enough - April 16, 2014
- Lots of private companies would meet the transit demand - April 16, 2014
- I always vote no on every revenue Prop anyway. - April 16, 2014