Composer Steve Reich draws out Radiohead's melodic fragments for new work, 'Radio Rewrite'
Two years later, Reich has re-interpreted both songs as the foundation for "Radio Rewrite." The five-movement piece takes significant creative liberties, barely resembling the source material at times, Reich explains.
"It was not my intention to make anything like 'variations' on these songs, but rather to draw on their harmonies and sometimes melodic fragments and work them into my own piece. This is what I have done. As to whether you actually hear the original songs, the truth is — sometimes you hear them and sometimes you don't."
Instrumentation for "Radio Rewrite" consists of flute, clarinet, two vibes, two pianos, electric bass, and a string quartet. Other works included in the all-Reich program are "Clapping Music," (featuring Mr. Reich, himself) "Piano Counterpoint," (1985) "City Life," (1995), "Four Genesis Settings from The Cave," (1993) and "New York Counterpoint." (1985)
Debuting the piece is NYC's Alarm Will Sound, one of the most aggressively modern classical ensembles currently working. Having performed works by Aphex Twin, and collaborated with Dirty Projectors, the 20-piece seems aptly chosen to tackle "Radio Rewrite"'s inherent genre-ambiguity.
Considering Reich's enormous influence, the opportunity to witness him approach a younger generation's music for the first time is a significant one. Implied within "Radio Rewrite" is a collision between two musical worlds, and the exploration of new, unpredictable terrain. Live music rarely seems so promising.
MUSIC BY STEVE REICH
Performed by Alarm Will Sound
Sat/16, 8pm, $25–$60
Bing Concert Hall
327 Lausen, Stanford
Most Commented On
- FfgxQxozrJ - April 17, 2014
- I cheated on my husband - April 17, 2014
- XcHJKwtUSZnnvADbNPVD - April 17, 2014
- OPEN MEETING REQUIRED BY LAW - April 17, 2014
- WAKE UP!! - April 17, 2014
- Mind The Log In Our Own Eye, Rather Than Speck In Our Neighbor's - April 17, 2014
- pBtqkqHymFhGJVu - April 17, 2014
- Some people are generous, some are not... - April 17, 2014
- Im an insurance broker and - April 17, 2014
- Nobody would have been hurt - April 17, 2014