Grace Cathedral's yoga team talk love, church, and the Christian-yogi connection
DM Given that the class is so diverse in terms of age, physical ability, and level of yoga practice, I focus on the more gentle and meditative side of yoga. The cathedral itself invites a more inward and contemplative experience as well, so it is really a perfect fit. Every week, I invite Bay Area musicians who have a transcendent quality to play at class.
SFBG Why do you think a class like this became so popular in San Francisco?
DM San Francisco has always been known for being open-mined, and that quality makes people open to the unique experience of doing yoga in a church. That said, I would not be at all surprised if we see this idea spreading beyond the Bay Area over the next 10 years or so.
Karen Macklin is a writer and yoga teacher in San Francisco. Read her On the Om Front column every other week on the SFBG Pixel Vision blog.
Most Commented On
- Very informative column, as - December 18, 2013
- Take back some of Twitter's taxpayer funding - December 18, 2013
- is this a joke? - December 18, 2013
- Yeah, this bill really smacks of the old adage - December 18, 2013
- SFBG are happy with more pollution and congestion as long as - December 18, 2013
- I'd like to see licensing, registration and insurance for bikes - December 18, 2013
- New battle cry - December 18, 2013
- By the same measure, why do bicycles get a free ride? - December 18, 2013
- There's about 3 people in all of SF who want to ban all cars. - December 18, 2013
- More MEANINGLESS talk and GRANDSTANDING ... await RESULTS - December 18, 2013