Silent sting - Page 3

To find criminal suspects, federal agents use a device that tracks everyone else too

"It did not explain that the device broadcasts signals to all devices in the area, receives information about other devices in the possession of third parties, potentially disrupts the connections of third-party devices, and penetrates the walls of every private residence in the vicinity, not solely that of the target," the ACLU-EFF brief argues.

At the end of March, Lye argued in an Arizona federal court hearing that evidence gathered using a Stingray should be suppressed in the Rigmaiden case, because the government used the tracking tool but failed to tell the federal magistrate judge that it was doing so. But in the course of that hearing, "the government stated ... that 'use of these devices is a very common practice,'" Lye note in an update following the hearing. "It also stated that there were many parts of the country in which the FBI successfully obtains authorization to use this device through a trap and trace [pen register] order."

Nor is it just federal agencies that use these surveillance tools. The results of a FOIA request filed by a Los Angeles journalist with the assistance of the First Amendment Coalition revealed that LAPD used this technology in 21 out of 155 cell phone investigation cases — from June to September of last year alone. The devices were used to investigate five homicide cases and a roster of other offenses, including a burglary, a narcotics investigation, two suicides, a robbery and three kidnappings.

For civil liberties advocates, the aim is to require stronger judicial oversight and a warrant before this kind of surveillance practice can be used. "The argument here is about, well this technology is so powerful and so intrusive — it really needs to be under extensive oversight by members of the judiciary," notes Friewald, the law professor. "And in order for that to happen, the judge needs to have that technology described to them."

Comments

because I am doing nothing wrong AND that this may help to apprehend criminals and terrorists.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 10, 2013 @ 6:21 am

In fact, if the police receive reports of a criminal in the area, I think they should go further. Let's say it's an apartment complex. I wouldn't mind if they cordoned off the area completely and did a door to door search of everyone, including full body cavity searches if necessary. I have nothing to hide, so I have nothing to fear. And in the process they'll catch they criminal more efficiently. A report of a criminal should never be taken lightly.

Posted by anon on Apr. 10, 2013 @ 6:37 am
Posted by Guest on Apr. 10, 2013 @ 8:48 am

I think they should use drones to randomly look into people's windows to catch criminals. I remember reading in a book about a society where police helicopters go around randomly looking into windows, and everybody had a two-way "telescreen" in their apartment that the government could use to monitor the household for crime. I remember thinking "what a brilliant idea!" I bet that kind of society would have very little crime. Those who have nothing to hide, have nothing to fear.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 10, 2013 @ 6:41 am

I can't believe what I am reading here!I can't believe the comments either,they must be joking right??Ok with body cavity searches,thats a joke right?Either these folks are very nieve and actually trust a capitalist government to ,''do the right thing,haha,now thats a joke really,'' or they have had a silverspoon in their lifes forever....Our gov. is one of the most corrupt ones now-a-days since our ancestors split England,,which is exactly why they split England,,,,Which is y their collective wisdom knew what to write in the Constittution..I further realized how screwy our country had become,whilest watching a game show called r u smarter then a 5th grader..They had a principle on as 1 of the contestance,a principle mind u,of grades k-8,,,when it came to answerring question regarding North,South,East,or West,I believe the question was,which state is further North then tennesse?,Maine,,,,,,,Alabama,,,,or Texas,,,This principle answerred Texas,,,r u kidding me??!!!!!When the host asked her,y,,would u say Texas,,she replied I have no idea where N,S.E.W, is,,,I use Garmin,,,,,,,r u kidding me,,,This woman is in charge of our childrens education,what r they teaching you guys now-a-days?I believe they r teaching ,''follow the leader,blindly,,,question no-one or nothing./..What if your so-called theory,,i have done nothing to be fearful of arrest backfires..What if that official searching you falsely claims he found a joint in your pocket,and claims you are a drug addict..outright lies,,,which has and does happen every single day in America,,,then what??Or that drone gets enter'd the wrong address and shots and kills a family of 3????Then what??We are all humans,inperfect humans,we alll make mistakes,,thats how we learn,,,,but my privacy,my creditbilty,my good name being destroyed over a ,''mistake'',,,,is no-ones right to take away from me!!!!!Paita

Posted by Guest on Apr. 10, 2013 @ 8:09 am

I hope the people above are joking. Well, maybe not. San Francisco is full of liberals who hate the Constitution.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 14, 2013 @ 10:28 pm

Liberals here hate the constitution, America and cops.

But they love criminals and the homeless.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 15, 2013 @ 7:23 am

About what property of the camera do the liberals whine, that possessive apostrophe on camera threw me off.

Posted by marcos on Apr. 15, 2013 @ 8:07 am

rather than this "Guest" who merely noted that it is not unusual for liberals to dislike cops and the constitution.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 15, 2013 @ 9:14 am

acts. Or helped apprehend the perps.

Today's tragedy puts this debate in perspective, I believe.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 15, 2013 @ 12:58 pm

I don't mind, I have nothing to hide. I am still free to write the paper, put out a sign, speak my mind. Yes they can't take a sneak peek, I have nothing hide.

Yes if the government got word of a plan attack or any other kind of trouble. I would expect them to turn off the phones.

We live in a day where rules and laws should be in place to sneak a peek, with computers, cell phones and other devices. We need to.

Posted by Garrett on Apr. 16, 2013 @ 5:33 pm

as "liberal" with the attitudes you express proves how fucked our society has become.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 16, 2013 @ 5:46 pm

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.