Special occasion eviction - Page 2

In the face of eviction, will Mission favorite Latin Bridal continue to grant quinceañera dreams?

ALL PHOTOS BY SHOT IN THE CITY

The shop may be gone by the time you read this, if small business advocates are unable to help. At the very least we will have these photos of young customers in the Latin Bridal dresses they wore on the heretofore most important day of their lives — proof positive of Latin Bridal's importance in a neighborhood that seems to have decided to change. "At least we'll have gone out big," says Ferrusquia's son Eddie, thanking the shoot crew after the lights and curling irons are packed out.

"Don't worry about anything on your day," Ferrusquia says in Spanish to one of our customer-models, for whom the shoot is a test drive for her quinceañera next week. "Don't let anyone rush you! This day will never happen again."

Latin Bridal 2631 Mission, SF. (415) 647-4200, www.latinbridal.com

Models: Amaris Tenorio, Brenda Diaz, Michelle Trejo

Art direction: Caitlin Donohue

Photography: Shot in the City

Makeup: Sarina Martinez/porcelainglow@gmail.com

Hair: Vivien Brown/Salon Miel

Assistant: Dick Van Dick

Comments

i have not seen colors like this since 1984

Posted by Guest on May. 01, 2013 @ 12:33 pm

I guess "good taste" is subjective :/

Posted by Guest on May. 01, 2013 @ 5:04 pm

If you think lackluster digs at a 15 year old's clothes are cute

Posted by caitlin on May. 01, 2013 @ 8:21 pm

I agree. Good taste IS "subjective" That's exactly how I feel about your more, shall I say, "Scandinavian" tastes? Let me guess: white, late 20's/early thirties yupster who think curly mustaches are funny? Those dresses are for Latina girls; you couldn't rock them to save your life. Stay in your lane with them dresses you get at Target, and welcome to the Mission, asshole.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 07, 2013 @ 3:04 pm

My, we're all getting very testy!

Posted by Richmondman on Jun. 07, 2013 @ 3:32 pm
Posted by Vic Vaughn on Jun. 07, 2013 @ 9:23 pm

The point is local businesses that are owned by people of color get pushed out because of gentrification and replaced by chain stores. If you are stuck on whether you like the styles of dresses or not I think you missed the point. People's lives are at stake and those are more important than your aesthetic values.

Posted by Guest on May. 02, 2013 @ 9:11 am

Not everything is about race and you don't have to play the race every single damn time, you know?

Posted by Guest on May. 02, 2013 @ 9:56 am

What lovely beautiful colours. I love colours. They look so much better than drab bland white, drab bland gray, and drab bland black. Thanks for the article and sorry to hear about another eviction situation.

Posted by Guest on May. 02, 2013 @ 9:42 pm

Attention - the article mentions that the store filed for bankruptcy. That is why they are closing. If they have a case against the landlord for the sewage leak and asbestos, I am sure they will hire a lawyer.

Posted by Richmondman on Jun. 07, 2013 @ 3:35 pm

I know the owner of the store and the people who work there. The bankruptcy is a somewhat unrelated issue (although the store lost revenue because half the space had to be closed off due to a leaking ceiling which incidentally destroyed a lot of their stock - I witnessed this firsthand months ago). Prado Group is trying to evict them because they assured the owner she wouldn't have to pay any rent until after the damages were assessed and they could come to an agreement, a deal which Prado then reneged on and said never happened (no doubt to attempt and secure a more lucrative lease from a wealthier (read: hipper, whiter) clientelle and furthering gentrification in the Mission).

At any rate, they seem to have come to some agreement; last I checked the store is still standing.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 07, 2013 @ 9:20 pm

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.