Baseball in Italy? Oh yes, it happened.
But it could explain why Italy tends to surprise then fizzle in international competitions like the World Baseball Classic. This year, for example, they upset Mexico and Canada in the first round, then lost out in the second. Their starting pitching holds, and then all hell breaks loose when you get into their bullpen.
Such is the state of soccer-dominant Europe, when it comes to trying to use their hands and arms at something. There's a promising Italian national in the Seattle farm system (Alex Liddi), and one of my favorite current major leaguers is Netherlands-born shortstop Didi Gregorious, of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Oh, and the Bundesliga in Germany has a team called the Dohren Wild Farmers. That's who I want to play for.
When I grow up.
Most Commented On
- thanks to dr Abuko - April 23, 2014
- San Francisco city management - April 23, 2014
- Another, “good look'n out” by - April 23, 2014
- Dead Weight Losses - April 23, 2014
- It's all about the city's - April 23, 2014
- How does it show? - April 23, 2014
- Where does he say that? And - April 23, 2014
- Sorry they hurt your feelings - April 23, 2014
- Mmm.. good to be here in your - April 23, 2014
- I still see balance there - April 23, 2014