Austra and Magic Mouth both make it to SF in time for Pride week, plus a band vs band chili cook-off at Bender's
The band formed in 2010 when Briseño and guitarist Peter Condra met and started talking about music — Nina Simone being the uniting interest. Briseño and Condra started playing garage rock versions of Simone songs, and eventually created their own, which brought them to Trü and bassist Brendan Scott (Condra and Scott had played together before in a cover band). "And Trü was definitely feeling the Nina Simone thing we were channeling," Condra says.
The group says it's now actualizing its influences. The band members have already played with one influence in the Gossip and is about to play with another in THEESatisfaction, but future goal spots would be alongside Erykah Badu or Blood Orange. I mishear Trü, thinking he mentioned Beyonce also, so ask for clarification. He laughs and says, "no, but you must be reading my mind."
THE WHITE BARONS/WILD EYES
Some background: local Southern fried rock group ("by way of Atlanta, Jakarta, and two Midwest podunk towns") the White Barons includes members of Thee Merry Widows, Winter Teeth, and Whiskey Dick Darryls, and SF's Wild Eyes recently opened for King Khan and BBQ Show at Slim's. This Bender's show is a party for a few things: it's the birthday of Bender's doorperson and Subliminal SF booker Mikey Madfes, it's a split seven-inch release celebration for the White Barons and Wild Eyes, and lastly, there's a band vs. band chili cookoff (if you buy a record, you'll get a chili sample). So you know it's going to be a messy mix of raucous rock'n'roll and tender cooked meats.
Sat/29, 10pm, $5. Bender's Bar and Grill, 806 S. Van Ness, SF; www.bendersbar.com.
Most Commented On
- center - December 19, 2013
- So the 73% approval that this - December 19, 2013
- I just can't stand it anymore - December 19, 2013
- Well, You Proved Me Correct, But I Guess It's Your Thing - December 19, 2013
- heh - December 19, 2013
- Teachers don't want SFUSD owned affordable housing - December 19, 2013
- You don't know what you're talking about. - December 19, 2013
- "AESOP Institute:" Perpetual Flimflam Machine - December 19, 2013
- "That may be why the BOS was - December 19, 2013
- I did a bit of research on - December 19, 2013