She's just as frank over email as she is in person. "It's OK with me if someone doesn't like my writing. But they shouldn't try to tell me how I'm obliged to present my work," she writes. "When I talk about my personal background, I'm not attempting to somehow bestow legitimacy to what I've written — anyone should be able to do what I did. My life history doesn't matter and isn't being offered as any kind of excuse."
I think back to something she said in her kitchen — a simple, powerful summation of a story that will never not be complicated. "JT was my lifeboat. You loved him? Well, I loved him more."
THE HEART IS DECEITFUL ABOVE ALL THINGS
Fri/28, midnight, $10
2261 Fillmore, SF
Most Commented On
- ELLIS ACT PROUDLY !!! Don’t - December 8, 2013
- These gadgets/smartphones - December 8, 2013
- What addiction to smart phone - December 8, 2013
- Addicted to your smartphone? - December 8, 2013
- You can infer the quality of the units from the plans - December 8, 2013
- I'm not asking the Marsh to go. I am asking them to practice - December 8, 2013
- wtf - December 8, 2013
- Hey, I'm with you. - December 8, 2013
- I know, right? - December 8, 2013
- Only two people would know the "level of appointment" - December 8, 2013