She's just as frank over email as she is in person. "It's OK with me if someone doesn't like my writing. But they shouldn't try to tell me how I'm obliged to present my work," she writes. "When I talk about my personal background, I'm not attempting to somehow bestow legitimacy to what I've written — anyone should be able to do what I did. My life history doesn't matter and isn't being offered as any kind of excuse."
I think back to something she said in her kitchen — a simple, powerful summation of a story that will never not be complicated. "JT was my lifeboat. You loved him? Well, I loved him more."
THE HEART IS DECEITFUL ABOVE ALL THINGS
Fri/28, midnight, $10
2261 Fillmore, SF
Most Commented On
- Still looks like a non issue to me - March 14, 2014
- Do you mean the 8Wash that you needed a billionaire on your side - March 14, 2014
- Seems to me the cops were just doing their job - March 14, 2014
- Greg, not every official needs to be appointed. - March 14, 2014
- New England - March 14, 2014
- CCSF certainly isn't "highly rated" by the people whose job it - March 14, 2014
- If you illegally occupy a building then you can reasonably - March 14, 2014
- They voted against it because it is a bad idea - March 14, 2014
- I don't think they can, even - March 14, 2014
- What is more important here - March 14, 2014