She's just as frank over email as she is in person. "It's OK with me if someone doesn't like my writing. But they shouldn't try to tell me how I'm obliged to present my work," she writes. "When I talk about my personal background, I'm not attempting to somehow bestow legitimacy to what I've written — anyone should be able to do what I did. My life history doesn't matter and isn't being offered as any kind of excuse."
I think back to something she said in her kitchen — a simple, powerful summation of a story that will never not be complicated. "JT was my lifeboat. You loved him? Well, I loved him more."
THE HEART IS DECEITFUL ABOVE ALL THINGS
Fri/28, midnight, $10
2261 Fillmore, SF
Most Commented On
- we covered that this week - July 26, 2014
- I understand that the SFBC - July 26, 2014
- San Francisco needs - July 26, 2014
- Artificial turf - July 26, 2014
- Moron - July 26, 2014
- Golden Gate Park, an - July 26, 2014
- What a monumental waste of everyones time - July 26, 2014
- Are You A Bot? - July 26, 2014
- Oh Bullshit - July 26, 2014
- How Much Do You Make? - July 26, 2014