Diversity in motion - Page 2

SF Ethnic Dance Festival triumphs, despite budget cuts and the loss of its main venue

Antoine Hunter of Urban Jazz Dance Company

A relatively recent phenomenon is dancers and companies who rethink their heritage and reframe it into the kind of individual expression that Western art encourages. Charya Burt is one of them. Another is La Tania Baile Flamenco, whose Tierra translated the quintessential male farruca into a women's dance. The trio became a striking expression of female power — rigorous and utterly convincing. Solo artist Oreet incorporated modern and ballet vocabulary into her spunky belly dancing, making it a decidedly contemporary expression of womanhood.

I do find it problematic, however, that dance from Mexico — there are over two dozen folklórico groups in the Bay Area — inevitably is represented by suites that are happy, fast, and loud. Surely there are more varied ways to showcase that culture's rich variety of traditions.

The Palace of Fine Arts is scheduled to re-open in 2015. The people at World Arts West would like the complex to become a center for art and culture from around the globe. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Comments

With respect, I don't know if the author fully appreciates what a profound joy it is for Americans of Mexican descent to experience the particular folklórico pieces that are traditionally presented in public performances.

At least for myself, it surpasses mere happiness and seeps deeply into pride and a connection to my heritage tangibly pulsing through my veins.

Thank you!

Posted by Margarita Galindo on Aug. 08, 2013 @ 8:44 am

Your post has moved the debate fowrdra. Thanks for sharing!

Posted by Kellsie on Apr. 10, 2014 @ 2:54 am

Just do me a favor and keep writing such trenchant analyses, OK?

Posted by essay on best friend on Apr. 15, 2014 @ 3:15 pm

Now we know who the sensible one is here. Great post!

Posted by best cv writing service in uae on Apr. 15, 2014 @ 3:53 pm

Pleasing to find someone who can think like that

Posted by ut homework services on Apr. 17, 2014 @ 6:11 am

This is an article that makes you think "never thought of that!"

Posted by custom writing review on Apr. 17, 2014 @ 3:01 pm

That's the best answer by far! Thanks for contributing.

Posted by essay writers on Apr. 18, 2014 @ 6:25 am

A provocative insight! Just what we need!

Posted by do my homework on Apr. 18, 2014 @ 8:14 am

Now I feel stupid. That's cleared it up for me

Posted by writing services on Apr. 18, 2014 @ 9:42 am

Articles like this make life so much simpler.

Posted by helpmewithhomework.net on Apr. 18, 2014 @ 10:15 am

I have been so bewildered in the past but now it all makes sense!

Posted by write thesis now on Apr. 18, 2014 @ 5:35 pm

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.