Burning Bacon - Page 3

An inside look at a neighborhood dispute that became an international media feeding frenzy — and it's all about bacon

Bacon Bacon has cooked up an outsized controversy.
PHOTO BY RANDY VELASQUEZ

If it weren't for the Bacon Bacon buzzwords involved, it's likely that none of us would have heard about any of this. The neighbors, who spent a lot of money obtaining top-level legal representation and footing the bill for all sorts of tests to check the credibility of Bacon Bacon's operations, might have gained more traction if it weren't for the public scrutiny.

But at the same time, it's a prime example of the kind of story which gains national media attention simply because the topic is trendy.

Instead of reading about world affairs in the morning papers this week, many Americans will be reading about their breakfasts.

Comments

Welcome to San Francisco, where your personal irritation is guaranteed to be elevated to the importance of world peace or world hunger. This is why the national media latch on .. They cant believe how profoundly self important some of our residents can be, and that makes for great comedy.
Anyone who has ever seen a christopher guest movie can attest to that.

Posted by Maldita fondada on Jul. 18, 2013 @ 6:40 am

Do you suppose that under the freedom of editorial content Vogt provides the illustrious "Guardianista" Steve Jones and Marke B. that we might see a counter argument here?

I'll only scratch at the depth of deception here by mentioning it, but blocking Frederick Street blocks the 6 Parnassus bus line.

Posted by lillipublicans on Jul. 18, 2013 @ 10:10 am

Its a nuisance buisness. People pay a lot of money to live in this city, and shouldn't have to be demonized for wanting to be able to breathe fresh air or walk down their sidewalk without having to deal with a lunch line. Their customers only have to deal with the grease smell for like 15 to 20 minutes then they leave. The residents have to deal with it for most of the day. And to have their completely legitimate complait trivialized by the media and people like fondada is unfair as well. They didn't even call the police. I'm sure most of the people siding with the food truck people don't have one parked in their neightborhood all day.

Posted by Guest on Jul. 18, 2013 @ 10:13 am

May I point out that no crime is committed by cooking bacon - so I dont know why you're crediting these NIMBY whiners with "they didnt even call the police"

Are you stating that the SFPD are responsible for responding to the irritations of individual residents now?

This paper sucks, I'm calling the police!

Posted by Guest on Jul. 22, 2013 @ 3:29 pm

F--- the bacon truck. I don't want the odor of bacon in my neighborhood either, you folks don't even live there so shut up.

Posted by Guest on Jul. 18, 2013 @ 11:21 am

I think the smell would be obnoxious myself, and though one's olfactory senses would eventually begin to detune for it, your visitors would always smell it; and you'd know your lungs were constantly being subjected to meat fat particles and likely carcinogens.

That said, the complaints weren't centered on the smell; only the slanted reportage was.

Again: if you block Frederick Street, you block the 6 Parnassus bus; you block Frederick; you block Clayton; etc., etc.

Posted by lillipublicans on Jul. 18, 2013 @ 11:50 am

The bacon was delish. I tried it just weeks before the store had to close, and while I understand the residents' complaints, I was sorry to see it go. I thought the air filtration system they had agreed to install was a reasonable compromise.

...and I'm still wondering how a café in a building blocks a MUNI bus line.

Posted by Greg on Jul. 22, 2013 @ 9:43 pm

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.