From pineapple shakes to cold plum soup: The Blob eats her way through the season
On weekends, pair a giant, perfectly buttery lobster roll "shortie," $10.62, from Sam's Chowdermobile, the mobile version of the famous chowder joint, with a breezy afternoon of art, science, and general Golden Gate Park ambiance on the Music Concourse. The food truck is usually tucked behind the bandshell. Check Sam's Twitter for info: www.twitter.com/chowdermobile
The pineapple shake, $2.30 at Beep's Burgers (1051 Ocean Ave., SF.) is the stuff of legend, its secret knowledge passed down from generation to generation with a burp and a giggle. Fresh pineapple mixed into a vanilla shake: It's that simple, but somehow so magical — especially with a basket of fries in Beep's throwback drive-in burger joint setting.
Who knew the Danes were so good at summer treats? Maybe because the sun sets so late in the region, the Scandinavian-influenced weekend brunch menu at Bar Tartine (561 Valencia, SF.www.bartartine.com) brings a bit of sunshine to our summer. The seasonal chilled stonefruit soup, just past apricot now into plum, is both gorgeous and delicious, a perfect compliment to Tartine's hearty smørrebrøds (Danish openfaced sandwiches).
EURO TART FROYO
We're big fans of frozen yogurt — and you know the diet-conscious Marina has to be poppin' with fly froyo options. Sure enough, local chain Cultivé just opened a self-serve Marina outpost (1998 Union, SF. www.cultiveyogurt.com), with dozens of flavor options, many of them seasonal. One flavor always on the menu: Euro Tart. A thick, icy blast of tongue-tickling, it'll make you pucker right up for summer.
Most Commented On
- And disagreeing with myself too! - April 17, 2014
- Ignorant troll - April 17, 2014
- The problem with that, Greg, is that when rent control - April 17, 2014
- Unimaginable and - April 17, 2014
- Whoa, Greg, are you now trying to throw us off the scent by - April 17, 2014
- Of course you would, Greg. You want city policies decided by the - April 17, 2014
- Times change - April 17, 2014
- Wait, Greg, I thought you loved central and south America - April 17, 2014
- Actually, Greg, the offices where we do elect folks are more - April 17, 2014
- So you're the infamous SFparkripoff who I'm supposed to be! - April 17, 2014