Stand up for the little guy

OPINION Last week, my partner and I journeyed early one morning to Sacramento to sign documents at the Secretary of State. We did this to take the very personal step of opening my campaign for State Assembly to fill Tom Ammiano's seat after he is termed out in 2014.

The next day, as I rode a Muni bus with a large group of youth from 24th and Mission down to City Hall to make my candidacy official, I realized why it's so personal. These children fought in the battle to get free Muni after their school buses were cut. For them, politics isn't about an "issue" or a "campaign." It's about getting to school.

It's a good lesson to remember. Politics isn't really that complicated. It boils down to a simple, clear dictum: stand up for the men, women and children who need help the most. Stand up for the "little guy."

For me, that starts with quality public schools — the key to opportunity for California youth. I know, because I immigrated to California as a 14 year-old who didn't speak English, graduated from public high school and earned scholarships to Stanford University and Harvard Law.

In San Francisco, I've fought to prevent teacher layoffs, helped win a $30 million Promise Neighborhoods grant for district schools, and battled to secure that free Muni pass for low-income kids. In Sacramento, I will scrape together every penny we can for public schools — to restore the cuts students and teachers have endured, and to prevent tuition hikes that put public universities out of reach and students deep into debt.

Another priority will be fiscal and economic equity. I stood with neighbors to prevent foreclosures. Fought wage theft. And opposed the controversial Twitter Tax Break as economic favoritism for a billionaires' industry. Instead, I pushed for equal tax breaks for the small businesses that also create jobs. I will approach the California budget the same way — making sure our fiscal policies help the taco stand owner, not just the big enchiladas.

Now some of these same business owners are using ObamaCare as an excuse to abandon their employees once again. I am opposing their efforts. In Sacramento, implementing the Affordable Care Act in a way that realizes its full potential and minimizes its failings will be one of my top priorities.

As we in the LGBT community enjoy the victory of same-sex marriage, I'm also thinking about the need for strong LGBT representation in Sacramento as the right wing fights back. This district elected Carole Migden, Mark Leno, and Tom Ammiano, and I would be proud to continue the LGBT tradition started in 1996. I would also be proud to be the first Latino ever elected to the State Assembly from San Francisco.

But I would be proudest of all to keep standing up for the little guy.

Comments

to the right of your current electorate, and hostile to many of your more left-wing views, what are the top three things you plan to show that you can appeal to a more moderate constituency?

I'd like to see at least one pro-jobs, pro-business initiative such as the ones that propelled Ed Lee to an easy win in the last mayoral race.

People want jobs, not ideology.

Posted by anon on Aug. 07, 2013 @ 2:48 am

The machine is welcome to run somebody if they agree with you and think they can win. Fact is, Campos is popular enough on the east side of the city that I don't even think they'll bother to pick that fight, to say nothing about winning it. I'm not even sure Ed Lee won against John Avalos in that district.

I'm sure there will be a so-called "moderate," pro-business candidate of your ilk, and I'm sure they'll be trounced.

It'll be tempting to use your own stupid, simplistic rhetoric, and take Campos's overwhelming victory to mean that you must be far out of the mainstream of the voting electorate. But we both know that the dynamics of electoral politics is more complex.

Posted by Greg on Aug. 10, 2013 @ 10:02 am

progressive might just scrape a win.

And you think that makes you and your policies "mainstream"?

99% of his ideas and policies will be rejected state-wide.

Posted by Guest on Aug. 10, 2013 @ 10:29 am

I think he'll win overwhelmingly, and I think he'll be successful in the legislature. He's definitely to the left of the state, but we need someone to push the envelope. If we didn't have people with cutting edge ideas, there'd never be any progress.

Posted by Greg on Aug. 10, 2013 @ 1:45 pm

Campos would say anything to get elected. He has no private sector experience, no other career opportunities, no future without a political paycheck. This is his job. Professional politician. Everything he has, or has ever had, is a gift from someone else. Parents paid no income taxes, and probably received government assistance even though they were illegals; he didn't have to pay for his Ivy-league education - his illegal status undoubtably aided in his application and financial aid requests. His values are closer to Hugo Chavez' than they are any American. Closet (or not so closet) Communist.

Posted by Richmondman on Aug. 10, 2013 @ 8:02 am
Posted by anon on Aug. 10, 2013 @ 8:22 am

If it doesn't crack, you will see a person like the one you describe in your comment.

Posted by Guest on Aug. 10, 2013 @ 8:35 am

extensively. Unlike you, this place isn't my life - just a little kickback at the start and end of the day.

Posted by anon on Aug. 10, 2013 @ 8:52 am

The SFUSD spends more per pupil and and a higher percentage on administration than almost any other district in the state.

One in four SFUSD students is an illegal alien.

Thanks, Campos!

Posted by Guest on Aug. 10, 2013 @ 12:46 pm

Campos is also proud of his work creating the system where kids have to travel all over town to go to school to fulfill his political agenda.

Campos uses these kids as part of his race and class filled political agenda, then complains about the unintended effects.

It's interesting that the left complains about invasive government, but doesn't mind treating school kids as lab rats.

Posted by Matlock on Aug. 10, 2013 @ 1:07 pm
Posted by anon on Aug. 12, 2013 @ 9:58 am

In response to all the hateful insults hurled at her by the retrograde unreformed fascist holdovers from the Pinochet years, she just said, "Yes, I'm a divorced, atheist, socialist, woman. And I'm going to be the next president of Chile." And she was (and likely will be again).

I for one am excited to have David Campos representing my city in the legislature, for all the reasons you haters have mentioned. Maybe he'll come back and run for mayor one day. Wouldn't that be awesome? A gay undocumented immigrant rising to high political office -a story like that would give one hope in the American dream again.

Posted by Greg on Aug. 10, 2013 @ 2:02 pm

you didn't like, nor a winner you did.

You're a troll, except in real life.

Posted by anon on Aug. 12, 2013 @ 9:58 am

What else can we do? I want to see improvements in this domains!

Posted by mediconic.com on Jan. 08, 2014 @ 7:29 am

Jason Grant Garza here ...

Dear Mr. Campos:

I personally DARE you, MR. Campos to PUT your money where your MOUTH is ... from the article " Health care has been and will remain one of my biggest concerns. Here, I helped negotiate the CPMC agreement that kept St Luke's open, treated nurses fairly, and won real community benefits. I worked with Planned Parenthood to protect women from being harassed at an abortion clinic. And, I stood up against restaurant owners who were pocketing customer health care surcharges instead of providing employee health care."

Just in case you didn't know I have had MEDICAL LAW, ADA RIGHTS and DISABILITY RIGHTS LAW broken against me by DPH. Here is the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cP3jCmJFRo&list=TLA-eMk_676Yo ... watch over 199 videos of seeking accountability, rational thought, humanity, correction and arrest. Note the CRIMINAL FRAUD with the FALSE restraining order and watch OCC, MOD, HRC, the Sheriff, SFPD, Chief of Police and Police Commissions' MISHANDLING of it.\

So contact DPH's Barbara Garcia at 554-2525 or Chief of Police 553-1551 or Sheriff 554-7225 to get my email address or as in the videos I made for youtube ... I can come in and we can address these issues on video to stand by your DECLARATION of "STAND UP FOR THE LITTLE GUY."

We can then address the the NO MEDICAL LAW ENFORCEMENT by SFPD and the Sheriff (watch the videos) and the denial of access and accommodation by the Mayor's Office on Disabilities whom according to their FALSE and INCORRECT website http://www.sfgov2.org/index.aspx?page=386 " The mission of the Mayor's Office on Disability is to ensure that every program, service, benefit, activity and facility operated or funded by the City of San Francisco is fully accessible to, and useable by, people with disabilities. MOD is responsible for overseeing the implementation and local enforcement of the City's obligations under the Americans with Disabilities Act as well as other federal, state and local access codes and disability rights laws."

I will try to be ( City Hall ... your office) in this week or next week to followup on this ... and I can show you http://myownprivateguantanamo.com/settle1.html where MEDICAL LAW has been broken before and the city with TESTILYING and FRAUD had my case dismissed (C02-3485PJH) in 2003 only to sign a "Confession" in 2007 with the OFFICE of INSPECTOR GENERAL admitting fault and guilt for BREAKING FEDERAL MEDICAL LAW in 2001. After the confession was signed the INNOCENT VINDICATED VICTIM was left for DEAD. As you can see it is still happening ...

You are also free to call DPH, the city attorney or the courts to ask HOW this could happen, what about an EXPLANATION to me the VICTIM, what about REMEDY and RESTITUTION, what about HUMANITY and DECENCY, what about the RULE of LAW, and why should DPH, SFPD or the Sheriff care since as before ... NO ONE is ENFORCING MEDICAL LAW?

So I can show you a SIGNED CONFESSION sitting next to an ARREST RECORD (never having been arrested before) for a CRIME that the CITY COMMITTED and confessed to ... and it is still continuing - SO will you stand for the LITTLE GUY and get to the BOTTOM of this INJUSTICE or is this just HYPE? Please contact me ASAP as I will be in to followup as I have with all other FAILING agencies ... see youtube videos.

Sincerely not only DISTRUSTFUL ... I am awaiting your "EFFORT and RESULT" to PROVE you care and we can VIDEO tape for ALL CONCERNED ... shall we see? I'll be in ... please contact me ASAP.

Better yet I will email you a copy of this with my email address to David.Campos@sfgov.org ... leaving NO ROOM for PLAUSIBLE DENIAL ... I await.

Posted by Jason Grant Garza on Aug. 14, 2013 @ 11:31 am

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.

Also from this author

• End the health-care scam

Businesses charge a health-care surcharge then keep the money for profit.

• End the healthcare scam

• Why Muni is in such trouble

The Municipal Transportation Agency has not had a management and performance audit since 1996. How is it that an $800 million operation can go for 14 years without that type of evaluation?