Alexis Blair Penney celebrates the release of debut album 'Window,' and mourns a personal loss
Penney's looking forward to people hearing the record, especially since many crowds seem only to have heard his earlier single, "Lonely Sea" (2011). He says he's been heckled in the past while performing songs from the then-unreleased Window, but crowds perk up at the dancey notes of "Lonely Sea." "I don't really know who my audience is. Because it's not this trendy college audience that's like, only listening to gay hip-hop, but I do get really cool opportunities to play for more band-centric music crowds."
"[With Windows] I'm trying to bridge that gap as well because, on some level, these are experiences everyone can relate to. Everyone has lost someone," he notes. "It's weird because the album is about losing a boyfriend and a love, but now it's taken on this whole other dimension for me where it's about losing my best friend as well."
Most Commented On
- Don't pay more! - December 19, 2013
- Interesting that the SFBG says the city loses 30 million a year - December 19, 2013
- I doubt that Josh is his real name either - December 19, 2013
- The "war on PG&E" was really Bruce's thing. - December 19, 2013
- No one cares what you think Josh - December 19, 2013
- The first of dozens? - December 19, 2013
- A floor only sets pay at the floor - December 19, 2013
- Yeah, anyone who writes 200 words to make a single point - December 19, 2013
- Normally you would herald this as "people power". - December 19, 2013
- You do realize that you are - December 19, 2013