Yummy stereo goods at Dijital Fix, giant sheep party, Soul Clap, Wolf + Lamb, Maurice Fulton, more nightlife
WOLF + LAMB
The high-end hotel parties and breathless press (guilty!) were always a little suspect, but the music Gadi and Zev were putting out at the end of the '00s counterbalanced the dominant astringency of minimal techno with a juicy eroticism rooted in nostalgia. They've still got it. With DJ Tennis and Adnan Sharif at the awesome Forward party, returning to SF after many moons.
Fri/23, 9pm-4am, $15. Mighty, 119 Utah, SF. www.forwardsf.com
There's going to be a giant gay sheep with laser eyes and a slide shooting out of its behind on the playa this year. BAAAHS ("big-ass amazingly awesome homosexual sheep") is the first official queer Burning Man art car, with a booming system to match its woolly balls. And yes, here's yet another BM fundraiser, this one featuring some great local and "other" queer techno talent taking over Beatbox: Stereogamous, TATU V, Doc Sleep, Jason Kendig, Mark Louque, and more, hosted by SF's queer burneratti. Putting a queerer stamp on the rapidly gender-normalizing playa seems like a good CAAAHS.
Fri/23, 10pm-4am, $10. Beatbox, 314 11th St, SF. www.baaahs.org
"CRASH AN INDIAN WEDDING RECEPTION"
One of the glorious monthly Non Stop Bhangra party's grand-slam theme nights: start with a bhangra flash mob in the Mission then proceed down to Public Works, where singer and dhol drum master Ustad Lal Singh Bhatti of Black Mahal whips the simulated "wedding reception" crowd into a frenzy. (Indian weddings are insane.) Dance lessons, DJs, and the Curry Up Now truck round out a unique night of cultural fun.
Sat/24, 9pm-3am, $15. Public Works, 161 Erie, SF. www.nonstopbhangra.com
The Baltimore-via-Sheffield production wiz has a magic touch when it comes to arty-funky disco vibes in a contemporary/wiggy context. (Or hey, sometimes he just drops brilliantly freaky slices like Mim Suleiman's rapturous Nyuli album on us, for kicks.) At Honey Soundsystem.
Sun/25, 10pm, $10. Holy Cow, 1535 Folsom, SF. www.honeysoundsytem.com
Most Commented On
- Who gets paid to pump gas - December 13, 2013
- More people would bike if it - December 13, 2013
- I think more people would... - December 13, 2013
- Thanks, El Dedo, for factual - December 13, 2013
- But I am correct - December 13, 2013
- Hundreds of lawsuits say otherwise - December 13, 2013
- Biking could be for everyone if we wanted - December 13, 2013
- Biking could be for everyone...if we wanted it to be - December 13, 2013
- Why is it always an external - December 13, 2013
- Yeah, when the bike nuts say "hey, it works in Holland" - December 13, 2013