FALL ARTS: THEATER Onstage highlights of the coming season
Caught The group show "Fuck Off 2," under way at Groninger Museum in the Netherlands, updates and celebrates a notorious (and officially quashed) 2000 exhibition in Beijing, which heralded the arrival of an uncompromising generation of Chinese contemporary artists, including Ai Weiwei (a contributing artist to the 2000 show and a co-curator of part two). Against the urgent and fascinating backdrop of art and political dissent in contemporary China comes 2by4 Theatre's world premiere of Caught, a play on the art of subterfuge, or the subterfuge of art, by rising local playwright Christopher Chen (The Hundred Flowers Project) that centers on a major retrospective of work by "legendary" Chinese artist and dissident Lin Bo. Nov. 26–Dec. 21, ACT Costume Shop, SF; www.2by4theatre.com.
Mephistopheles Meph-heads: Your Faustian fix awaits in one of the biggest spectacles to "grace" the stage at the San Francisco Opera this season or any: Arrigo Boito's 19th century adaptation of Goethe's Faust, with bass-baritone Ildar Abdrazakov in the delightfully malign title role and SF Opera's Nicola Luisotti on the podium. Sept. 6–Oct. 2, War Memorial Opera House, SF; www.sfopera.com.
The Episodes Brontez Purnell Dance Company delivers the next iteration of the intriguing and intelligent work that debuted last March at the Garage, which draws its physical and thematic inspiration from the ritual-like repetitions of the quotidian. Nov. 22–24, CounterPULSE, SF; www.counterpulse.org.
Keith Hennessy, Hana Lee Erdman, Jassem Hindi Among the many things one could say about the tantalizing lineup behind this three-act liquidizer of music, noise, improvisation, and performance, is that the evening reunites three impressive performer-agents from Hennessy's monumental Turbulence (a dance about the economy). Dec. 6–7, CounterPULSE, SF; www.counterpulse.org. *
Most Commented On
- These days it's not a - December 7, 2013
- Harvey Milk's dog pooper scooper law - December 7, 2013
- dark energy is murder - December 7, 2013
- Milk - December 7, 2013
- troll - December 7, 2013
- People like Castro are permanently angry and bitter - December 7, 2013
- Lost the anger, Castro. It does not become someone who claims to - December 7, 2013
- Then you should ignore his posts instead of reading them - December 7, 2013
- Why do you care so much what others do with their - December 7, 2013
- Jeff, the real troll here is the pro-Marsh poster who is using a - December 7, 2013