Grease, guts, and glory power the 10th annual Dirtbag Challenge this weekend
Jason Pate is working against the clock in Fremont. Having spent around $800, he has a running bike constructed from no less than six different motorcycles. His son, Jason Pate II, says Brown was here yesterday and showed him how to clean out carburetors. Meanwhile, San Jose resident Alex "Koska" Verbisky — originally from Moldova — is at exactly $1,000. His 1969 Honda CB450 has a wacky new set of handlebars made from Suzuki shock parts and a Volkswagen camshaft.
Up in Orland, Casey Anderson, a professional chopper builder featured in the film, is about $580 into his build, converting a 1979 Honda touring bike to look like a 1928 BMW R62. Thirty minutes south through walnut and olive orchards, in Willows, Kyle Cannon's son Michael is building a bike for credit in shop class with his pals Joseph and Jake Martin. And down the road, Josh Stine is overcoming his muscular dystrophy, building a bike he hopes he will sell to supplement his Social Security check.
It's inspiring — a quality that's fitting for a volunteer-run event that promotes creativity, self-expression, and self-reliance, and encourages learning and community. Participants build strange, mutant vehicles. And it all started as a small gathering of friends near the waters of San Francisco. Sound like any other event you know?
"At first begrudgingly and now gratefully, I accept comparisons to Burning Man," says Brown.
Of course, that doesn't mean he likes it. The biggest difference between the Burn and the Dirtbag is that there's simply no way to throw money at the Dirtbag. Ten years in, the event is still free and no one is getting paid. Brown even recently sold his van to finance a cross-country motorcycle trip.
"If I did want to make this a money-making enterprise, the potential is there," says Brown toward the end of the film. "[But] I'm not sure if I'm ever gonna actually do that, because that might remove the soul from it." *
Sun/13, 2pm, free
End of Quesada St, SF
Most Commented On
- Greg's hatred for cops blinds him to any facts that do not - March 14, 2014
- Just saying that the homeless cause less problems in some - March 14, 2014
- Did we elect Davis to solve social problems? - March 14, 2014
- The DA was Elected to Office After Appointment - March 14, 2014
- This has nothing to do with - March 14, 2014
- Suuuurree Davis Is Interested In Public Safety - March 14, 2014
- The problem, Greg, is that running a city is like running any - March 14, 2014
- This post - March 14, 2014
- The left is dominated by anger and hate - March 14, 2014
- That depends on what my job is. - March 14, 2014