- This Week
DEATH ISSUE: Saying goodbye isn't easy, but it's an important part of life. We explore the Bay Area's evolving relationship with the end of life, from Boomer care and Death with Dignity to the "death midwives" movement.
10.29.13 - 3:47 pm | Steven T. Jones |
Image from Paul Koudounaris's book "Heavenly Bodies: Cult Treasures and Spectacular Saints from the Catacombs"
That's been the central preoccupation of religions for centuries, offering assurances to the flock that we needn't fear death, that it's a natural part of life, a view that has been reinforced by modern secular society as well, from atheists to ecologists.
So let's confront death, bring it out of the hospitals and mortuaries and into the open. Let's have the long-overdue societal conversations about it that we need to have. Let's talk about death.
Janina Glasov contributed to this report.
Most Commented On
- Bu gerçekten blockbuster - December 11, 2013
- Thanks - December 11, 2013
- As a minority female who - December 11, 2013
- Social Darwinism? Ha. These - December 11, 2013
- browse this site - December 11, 2013
- To: Alex Tom and Vincent - December 11, 2013
- Nobody should be fasting to - December 11, 2013
- priestandrew thank you sir. - December 11, 2013
- cops = pigs - December 11, 2013
- The think you don't have to - December 11, 2013