Director Adam McKay reports on 'Anchorman 2'
AM That was really tricky. We had to calibrate that through all the screenings that we did. The first screening had too much of that in it, and it felt a little uncomfortable, so we'd kind of pull it back. But the whole premise is, these guys are idiots. And they don't understand anything about multiculturalism, women's lib — they don't get any of it. So as long as that premise is clear, you're OK. They're not mean guys — except for Champ Kind, who probably is a Tea Party right-winger. But the rest of them are just idiots.
So long as the racial jokes were more just ignorance, it was OK. But if it ever became like a pointed slam, that's when it would cross the line. So we stayed away from all that kind of stuff, and just had them sort of live in ignorance.
SFBG Like the first Anchorman, the film layers its silliness over cultural commentary. Here, it's how ridiculous 24 hour news has become.
AM That was always the inspiration. In the first movie, we had women breaking into the newsroom, and these avuncular anchormen just being shits, basically. And that's hilarious and awful at the same time, and significant enough that you have stakes that you can tell the story.
So for this one, the central idea was 24-hour news, and when the news became what it is today. Really, we knew we had the movie when we were like, "Let's have Burgundy be the guy who ruins it all." [Laughs.] And we decided to pin it all on him: the birth of infotainment, the birth of ratings-driven, corporate-owned news, and the idea that Burgundy would be really good at it.
ANCHORMAN 2 opens Wed/18 in Bay Area theaters.
Most Commented On
- Being played like fiddles - March 14, 2014
- The influx of better off residents would increase the pressure - March 14, 2014
- I don't get it - March 14, 2014
- Still looks like a non issue to me - March 14, 2014
- Do you mean the 8Wash that you needed a billionaire on your side - March 14, 2014
- Seems to me the cops were just doing their job - March 14, 2014
- Greg, not every official needs to be appointed. - March 14, 2014
- New England - March 14, 2014
- CCSF certainly isn't "highly rated" by the people whose job it - March 14, 2014
- If you illegally occupy a building then you can reasonably - March 14, 2014