Bob Rezak, a journalist for many years and a Potrero Hill native, chimes in with this tale:
Your item on the 13 year old publisher makes me think there is something in the air on Potrero Hill that causes the veins of youngsters to be infused with printer's ink.
I was 13, perhaps even 12, when I started producing my own newspaper on Potrero Hill (18th and Kansas). But the circulation was limited to family members.
I produced headlines by tracing letters from a stencil that contained the alphabet. Stories were "typed" on a toy typewriter made of tin (no plastic in those days). The instrument did not have a keyboard. The letters were on a wheel that you had to spin to the right letter, then press a button that tipped the letter over a felt pad and then impressed the image on paper. It was a painstaking process. Letter by letter, word by word. It took hours. But I did not know any differently. It must have been a little like the way Guttenberg operated. But the more papers I produced (single copies), the more convinced I was, even at that early age, that I wanted to be a reporter. Of course, my stories were about family activities--my dad painting the house, my brother getting engaged--that sort of thing.
It must have been good reading. I recall them all laughing. My sister -in-law still has some editions but will not relinquish them to me or anyone else.
Maybe that is for the better.
Most Commented On
- Guest's grammar looks perfect to me but in any event maybe you - June 19, 2013
- You may have "no problem with prostitution", Tim but - June 19, 2013
- This confirms my feeling about those D5 endorsements - June 19, 2013
- you understand that your awful misuse of apostrophes - June 19, 2013
- But home prices should be based on rents because - June 19, 2013
- Yes, Tim, there are very few hooker ad's on SFBG now. - June 19, 2013
- You cannot know how many "progressive voters" are not reached - June 19, 2013
- Yes, Tim was a gentleman and others on the left wanted him to be - June 19, 2013
- The left is renowned for hating each other more than their - June 19, 2013
- That depends how you define" nightlife". - June 19, 2013