Alas. Alas. (B3, disheartened by the news)
Posted Tuesday, Nov. l7th, on the website of the Guardian of London
From Guardian Unlimited: News blog 12:15pm
Here at the Guardian we have long suspected it. But today comes official confirmation: George Bush doesn't read the Guardian often. During a press conference with the Australian PM, John Howard, in Hanoi today, Mr Bush was asked about the report in yesterday's Guardian that he was planning a final push in Iraq involving an additional 30,000 troops.
"Is that something...," began a reporter.
"Where was that report?" asked Mr Bush.
"In the Guardian newspaper," the journalist replied.
"Guardian newspaper? Well, I don't read that paper often. But I - look, I'm going to listen to our commanders, Steve. Ours is a condition-based strategy [...] So I'm not aware of the Guardian article."
Of course, the president may well have been thinking of the San Francisco Bay Guardian, a publication which also takes a sceptical editorial line on his policies. Who knows? But in the unlikely event you're reading this, Mr President, Guardian Weekly has a four-week free trial on. Just say the word.
Most Commented On
- YFnBvBJhEoTAEo - July 28, 2014
- Free stuff??!?! What is - July 28, 2014
- Failed at life? I guess you - July 28, 2014
- What a sickening comment. - July 28, 2014
- Are you suggesting that MTA - July 28, 2014
- YQpRBDjDKzBrO - July 28, 2014
- You are mistaken - July 28, 2014
- I'm giving Emma credit here for learning from her last error and - July 28, 2014
- Jews who aren't smart enough to become doctors or lawyers - July 28, 2014
- Yes, it's racist to comment on someone's race. - July 28, 2014