Alas. Alas. (B3, disheartened by the news)
Posted Tuesday, Nov. l7th, on the website of the Guardian of London
From Guardian Unlimited: News blog 12:15pm
Here at the Guardian we have long suspected it. But today comes official confirmation: George Bush doesn't read the Guardian often. During a press conference with the Australian PM, John Howard, in Hanoi today, Mr Bush was asked about the report in yesterday's Guardian that he was planning a final push in Iraq involving an additional 30,000 troops.
"Is that something...," began a reporter.
"Where was that report?" asked Mr Bush.
"In the Guardian newspaper," the journalist replied.
"Guardian newspaper? Well, I don't read that paper often. But I - look, I'm going to listen to our commanders, Steve. Ours is a condition-based strategy [...] So I'm not aware of the Guardian article."
Of course, the president may well have been thinking of the San Francisco Bay Guardian, a publication which also takes a sceptical editorial line on his policies. Who knows? But in the unlikely event you're reading this, Mr President, Guardian Weekly has a four-week free trial on. Just say the word.
Most Commented On
- You and I have different values - March 8, 2014
- Oh yes - that paragon of virtue, ambulance chaser Chris Dolan... - March 7, 2014
- eKwimShrzRLu - March 7, 2014
- You're kidding right? Brown - March 7, 2014
- fyi, marcos, AAA has a dismal record on motorists' rights - March 7, 2014
- Christopher Dolan AGAIN? - March 7, 2014
- So criticizing someone who - March 7, 2014
- Funny, I felt the same way about Jerry Brown - March 7, 2014
- So in other words you feel - March 7, 2014
- That is the Gods truth, but - March 7, 2014