Will the McClatchy sale of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune bring Manhattanization to Minneapolis?
By Bruce B. Brugmann (B3)
Well, well. There's more of an odor to the McClatchy sale of the Minneapolis Star Tribune to a New York private equity firm than was originally reported. (See previous blogs.)
The Star Tribune reported coyly on Dec. 31 that Avista Capital Partners was interested in buying the Star Tribune "for reasons beyond its considerable newspaper and internet presence, or so goes the buzz in the Twin Cities business world."
The Star Tribune, it turns out, also owns five square miles of semi-prime real estate west of the Metrodome, mostly in surface parking, and that the real estate "has caught the eye of New York developer and Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf." He wants to replace the Metrodome with another downtown Minneapolis stadium. Avista could "probably fetch a pretty good price on land currently valued at $20 million to $25 million by Hennepin County."
And so the sale raises yet more questions: Does this mean that a towering chunk of Manhattanization is coming to downtown Minneapolis and if so what will the paper's development policy be? The story said that the Vikings representative declined to comment about whether the Vikings had tried to contact Avista. The story did not say whether the paper had tried to contact Avista for comment. Will this be the policy in dealing with the new owner: not even bothering to call for comment? B3
Most Commented On
- NxPnOIoODTaKUeSUdi - April 17, 2014
- I hope you see my testimonies and also pray for my family too - April 17, 2014
- he's very nice and great a spell caster here is email. obasispel - April 17, 2014
- The point is that you are merely borrowing your home - April 17, 2014
- Straight line thinkers like Greg think that money can only be - April 17, 2014
- Don't confuse Greg with basic facts. - April 17, 2014
- Greg, you're just mixing it up to dry and deflect from being - April 17, 2014
- Greg, we don't live in Mexico and besides, you just said that - April 17, 2014
- Thank you Great Owologbo - April 17, 2014
- Vacancy control and new rent - April 17, 2014