The Guardian Iraq War casualty report (1/29/07): 2 U.S. soldiers killed, 36 Iraqi civilians killed and 2 Iraqi policemen killed.
Compiled by Paula Connelly
2: U.S. soldiers were killed when their helicopter was shot down during a clash between Iraqi militants and U.S. backed Iraqi troops, according to BBC news.
3,301: Killed since the U.S. invasion of Iraq 3/20/03
For the Department of Defense statistics go to: http://www.defenselink.mil/
For a more detailed list of U.S. Military killed in the War in Iraq go to:
Casualties in Iraq
36: Iraqi civilians were killed today in multiple instances of civil war related violence, according to BBC news.
98,000: Killed since 3/03
55,073 - 60,754: Killed since 1/03
For a week by week assessment of significant incidents and trends in Iraqi civilian casualties, go to A Week in Iraq by Lily Hamourtziadou. She is a member of the Iraq Body Count project, which maintains and updates the world’s only independent and comprehensive public database of media-reported civilian deaths in Iraq.
A Week in Iraq: Week ending 28 January 2007: http://www.iraqbodycount.org/editorial/weekiniraq/28/
2: Iraqi policemen were killed during a clash between Iraqi militants and U.S. backed Iraqi troops, according to the New York Times.
30,000: Killed since 2003
151: Killed since 3/03
Border policies are tightening because one million Iraqi refugees have already fled to Jordan and another one million to Syria. Iraqi refugees who manage to make it out of Iraq still can’t work, have difficulty attending school and are not eligible for health care. Many still need to return to Iraq to escape poverty, according to BBC news.
1.6 million: Iraqis displaced internally
1.8 million: Iraqis displaced to neighboring states
Many refugees were displaced prior to 2003, but an increasing number are fleeing now, according to United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees’ estimates.
U.S. Military Wounded:
47,657: Wounded since 3/19/03 to 1/6/07
Most Commented On
- With one exception, everyone - April 16, 2014
- "The problem is that the - April 16, 2014
- Now we're getting somewhere. - April 16, 2014
- Hard-working Asian city? Love it. - April 16, 2014
- Benito as in Mussolini? - April 16, 2014
- Sssh... a movement like this - April 16, 2014
- New students are not enrolling at CCSF because they see it is - April 16, 2014
- The case against CCSF is so compelling that no appeal is - April 16, 2014
- People like Greg always call anyone who disagrees with their - April 16, 2014
- Except that there is not a shred of evidence that the death of - April 16, 2014