A letter from FreePress.net:
Cable giant Comcast and NBC Universal have just announced that they're merging to form one of the most powerful media companies in the world.
Washington and Wall Street are already saying this mega-merger is a done deal. If we don’t act now to stop it, we’ll have even more corporate control of our media, higher prices and fewer choices.
It’s a marriage made in hell, and we need a citizens’ uprising to stop the merger.
Join the Uprising Against the Mega-Merger.
Help us get 100,000 people to tell President Obama to make good on his campaign pledge to act "against the excessive concentration of [media] power in the hands of any one corporation, interest or small group." It’s time for the president to keep his promise.
Sign our call to action — and we will deliver your demands to the president, as well as to decision makers at the Department of Justice, Federal Trade Commission and Federal Communications Commission who have the power to stop this merger.
Comcast, the nation’s largest cable company and the second largest Internet provider, would merge with one of the world’s biggest producers of TV shows and movies. Here’s what this merger would mean for you:
* Higher Prices: With Comcast in control of everything from MSNBC, Bravo and E! to Universal Pictures, they’ll be able to raise prices for their competitors that will be passed on to you.
* Fewer Choices: Comcast would have a near-media monopoly in some communities, controlling cable and Internet access as well as local TV stations. They could push NBC shows ahead of other local and independent voices and programs, making it even harder to find alternatives on cable.
* Less Innovation: This merged goliath could control what you watch and how you watch it, starving online video competitors or making you subscribe to Comcast to watch TV on the Internet.
This merger is a dangerous attempt by media moguls to seize control of both media content and distribution, and to use this control to squeeze consumers.
Stop the Merger: Join FreePress.net/Comcast
With your help, we can give consumers a voice and keep this doomed marriage from ever reaching the altar.
P.S. We need as many people to speak out as possible. Spread the word on Facebook or Twitter or forward this e-mail to your friends. We’d love to hear from them, too!
Most Commented On
- I Think You Should Move There - December 10, 2013
- Bicycles Should Be Outlawed - December 10, 2013
- Did You Get That Help You Needed? - December 10, 2013
- Texas unemployment rate - December 10, 2013
- If bicycle operators obeyed the rules of the road for wheeled - December 10, 2013
- That reminds me of a law that some Italian cities passed. - December 10, 2013
- "A lot of the jobs created in - December 10, 2013
- But they are still jobs, and many folks do not have - December 10, 2013
- Why should your employer provide your healthcare - December 10, 2013
- Are you suggesting that employers overpay? - December 10, 2013