Amazing. Peter Hartlaub nominated me Tuesday (Oct. 26) in his Chronicle pop culture column to throw out the first pitch to open the World Series game in San Francisco.
In the spirit of "getting the rest of the country into the swing of things" in San Francisco, he also nominated actor Sean Penn, Rep. Barbara Lee, and Assemblyman Tom Ammiano. And he suggested Lawrence Ferlinghetti read the national anthem, that Tony Hall sing the national anthem, that the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence become the new ball dudes, and that a slow-moving flotilla of Critical Mass kayaks make the other boats late for the game in McCovey Cove.
Hartlaub had the right approach. "There are definitely advantages to having the rest of the country develop the false impression that your region is filled with nothing but crackpots," he wrote. "It seems to motivate the team. And in a roundabout way the weird looks from the rest of the country help preserve our culture."
Well, I'm available and I'm happy to report that I'm actually qualified to toss out the first pitch and get the ball to homeplate.
I was a left-handed pitcher back in my playing days in summer playground and the Junior Legion baseball in my hometown of Rock Rapids, Iowa. I had a blazing fastball and a wicked curve and a drop ball that I couldn't control. Nobody ever hit a homerun off of me.
Alas, I'm sad to report, PG&E opposes my appearance. It's getting late. And I suspect I won't get an invitation.
I guess I'll soon be off to Blooms or the Connecticut Yankee bars to watch the game and drink Potrero Hill martinis. b3
Most Commented On
- There was an "aggreived party", JW, and you said it yourself: - May 23, 2013
- I don't know who, or how - May 23, 2013
- Weiner - May 23, 2013
- You're not seeing many "moderate" posters here? - May 23, 2013
- No, Nothing Wrong - May 23, 2013
- Yes, IOW it's the NIMBY, anti-progress idea that - May 23, 2013
- Funny how you defend people who have to leave the city for - May 23, 2013
- I agree, but it's good to see Greg defending the successful - May 23, 2013
- You read wrong. I only said that I understand city policies that - May 23, 2013
- Not every sex crime on the statute book involves actual sex. - May 23, 2013