The dramatic video: UC-Davis Chancellor Linda P. B. Katehi and her walk in shame

Madeline Perez reports from her tent at UC Davis

My granddaughter Madeline, a senior at the University of California-Davis, has been camping out with the Occupy movement at Davis.  And so I have been watching the demonstrations with outrage and awe.  Outrage at the pepper-spraying campus cops and the cowering Davis president Linda P.B. Katehi in her bunker. And with awe and admiration for the inspired and inspiring reaction of the Davis students. Let me summarize.

On Friday afternoon, the campus police moved to take down the tents of peaceful occupation on the campus.  Several protestors sat down on the sidewalk, linked arms, and refused to stand as the cops ordered. As bystanders chanted, "Don't shoot the students, don't shoot the students,"  the New York Times reported on Monday that "an officer shakes a pepper spray canister and walks before a line of seated protesters, spraying them. The protesters' faces and clothes are quickly covered in the orange-tinted spray.

"Some protesters are heard screaming and crying as they are arrested. One bystander is heard shouting; "These are children! These are children!" The Times reported that 11 protesters were treated at the scene after being sprayed, and two of them were sent to the hospital.  Ten proresters were arrested on misdemeanor charges of unlawful assembly and failure to disperse and were later released, according to the Times.

Katehi at first came forth with the usual UC robotic response: support the cops, to hell with the students. She then scheduled a press conference without notifying the students or giving them a chance to respond. However, the word leaked out and the students began gathering outside the building where the press conference was held.

You can read the account here.

According to the person recording the video, Lee Fang, Katehi had scheduled a 4pm press conference that was set to last an hour. During the press conference, protesters gathered outside the building and demanded to be heard, at which point Katehi refused to leave for several hours. Students eventually created a large pathway through which Katehi could leave and chanted "We are peaceful" until the Chancellor agreed to walk out to her car.

As you can see, the protesters' silence is absolutely deafening. Having been a part of a supposedly "silent" march at Occupy Wall Street earlier this year, I was amazed at how unified the Occupy Davis protesters were. Also, right before Katehi gets into her car (at about the 1:36 mark), you can hear someone ask, "Did you feel at all trapped inside, Chancellor?" which is a direct reference to the justification the UC Davis police claimed for using pepper-spray during the protests. Phenomenal job, UC Davis protesters.

Here's the video:

I have walked around the Davis campus and found what is happening there is happening on many other UC campuses: there is a vigorous building program at odds with all the talk of limited budgets and increased fees. I can see the massive UCSF/Mission Bay program from my office window on Mississippi Street at the bottom of Potrero Hill.  The buildings keep going up, the workmen keep working, the jolly press releases keep emerging, and the funds seem to gush forth without interruption.  Yet  the students and their families are screwed with ever escalating tuition and ever escalating debt--and all with little prospect for jobs after graduation. And California's once world famous educational system is floundering in ignominy?  Can anyone in the UC administration cite a case where a campus building program has been stopped or seriously scaled back during this student and economic crisis? Thank God for students who know how to demonstratre peaceably and creatively.  Thank God for students who know how to force their chancellor to walk in shame before the world.

Comments

God bless the police. They acted lawfully unlike the protesters. They got what they deserved!

Posted by Guest on Nov. 21, 2011 @ 7:49 pm

You're ignorant of American history. Peaceful protest makes America great. John Pike and the Chancellor need to go.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 21, 2011 @ 8:19 pm

Peaceful protest does make America great. Too bad these protestors weren't peaceful. I totally agree with the spirit of protest and the points of the occupy movement. HOWEVER, they have to obey the laws. It they don't obey the laws, they should take responsibility for breaking them and the consequences they incur. Taking responsibility and apologizing are a part of keeping the peace. I don't see these protestors taking responsibility. They were not lawful and they were not peaceful. There are consequences for not following a lawful order by police. If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. These kids need to know that if you surround police and fail to follow their orders, there will be consequences. What did they think was going to happen? Were they thinking they could take that quiz over with no peanalty? what is us with these trophy kids and their entitled parents (and grandparents)?

Posted by liberal minded police supporter on Dec. 10, 2011 @ 9:32 am

you are not a good enough writer to choose a new alias and pretend you are someone other than the same fucking idiot who has been posting in favor of the pigs throughout this whole thread

go blog at fucking Fox News where you belong

Posted by anonymous on Dec. 10, 2011 @ 10:41 am

I guess you like name calling better than rational debate. Would you like to call me names and yell at me. Then you could call yourself peaceful and claim to have been mistreated. I just happen to agree with whoever that other poster is.

I can't stand Fox news. I am a straight democrat voter. The small exceptions to that have been a couple of green party folks. I protested the war in Iraq when I was in college. I didn't fight with the polce when I did it either. I read Mother Jones and agree with Michael Moore on most things, but I am not sure what he is saying about all this.

Posted by liberal minded police supporter on Dec. 10, 2011 @ 1:23 pm

and so most other readers of this blog

Posted by anonymous on Dec. 10, 2011 @ 1:46 pm

and so would most of the other readers of this blog

and I don't believe your bullshit about Moore and Mother Jones

you are prick troll, nothing more

get the fuck out

Posted by anonymous on Dec. 10, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

So is the value of free speech only for those who agree with you? I am concerned about the redistribution of wealth in this country. Mother Jones had a nice series of graphs showing how the rich are getting richer. I think the game is unfairly rigged against the middle class. It is terrible. The wealthy should be taxed.

I can have grave concerns about the ecconomy AND think it was a cheap ploy for those kids to intimidate, surround and attempt to bully the police. They should know better.

AND, I think the video most of us saw on the news downplayed the intimidation that they were attempting against the police when they got sprayed. Your aggressive words toward me don't make you seem peaceful. How far would your bullying go if we stood in the same place. Would I need to defend my physical wellbeing? Would you escalate in your agression?

Posted by liberal minded police supporter on Dec. 14, 2011 @ 9:56 pm

and your pathetic little "you're calling me a troll because I disagree with you" bullshit is not fooling anyone - that is the standard fucking response of every disrespectful asshole like you

you don't give a fuck what position you take in a debate as long as it gives you a chance to launch insults at people and get them to fight with you and eachother

you are a troll loser who gets delusions of grandeur from falsely imagining that he is out-debating people, when he is actually making a complete insulting idiot of himself

and if most readers of this blog got what we wanted, you would be blocked from posting here

so why don't you honor that and fuck off

Posted by anonymous on Dec. 14, 2011 @ 10:21 pm

God bless the overzealous police?! Your head couldn't get any deeper in the sand.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 21, 2011 @ 9:04 pm
Posted by matlock on Nov. 22, 2011 @ 11:08 pm

What in the world are you talking about? Are you on some kind of drug? How were the "protesters" acting un-lawful when they're sitting down doing NOTHING! Hey retar (yes i said retar cause your too dumb to even be a retard) wake up

Posted by Guest on Nov. 22, 2011 @ 11:27 am

Might you be willing to watch the whole video, not just the edited version spoon fed to you by a media wanting to incite you? Don't be a sheeple. Get the whole story.

Posted by liberal minded police supporter on Dec. 10, 2011 @ 9:34 am

Comments like this make me even more sad than angry. First, how did the protesters deserve to be pepper-sprayed? These kinds of rhetorical comments always seem to be made with no explanation. What did they do to deserve pepper spray? Second, the standard protocol for using pepper spray is solely when an officer feels trapped and/or threatened and needs to employ non-lethal force in defense of his or her own safety. That is clearly not the case here at all. So, how did the police act lawfully? What they did here is not only in violation of standard police protocol, but it is assault, probably at the felony level. So, please explain to us how you believe they were acting lawfully?

Posted by Jimmy Carl Black on Nov. 22, 2011 @ 11:43 am

Well, they surrounded the police and threatened them. That was exactly what happened. They were surrounded by an escalating mob. They were threatened as were the kids they had arrested who were with them. The police are now responsible for the kids who are in the middle of that with them.

It was lawful in that they law says that citizens must obey a lawful order given by police. "Let me through", "move". The polcie ordered them to move. They didn't. That is the lawful part.

The police didn't want them to stop protesting. The police needed two things - to be able to move freely in the crowd and to take down the tents. Those kids tried to use their bodies to stop the police from doing their jobs. So, they got sprayed.

I can only hope you make your comments having watched all of the video, not just the sensational parts that went out in the first several days.

Posted by liberal minded police supporter on Dec. 10, 2011 @ 9:40 am

How is it possible to be so ignorant and still remember to breathe.

Posted by Patrick Monk. RN on Nov. 22, 2011 @ 12:00 pm

Guest is right about one thing: the police did get (and continue to get) what they deserved. Watch the video: they were immediately forced off the campus green by the sheer moral force of observers chanting "Shame on you!" The two pepper-spraying officers are off the force pending a full investigation, along with (presumably) their commanding officer. The people they pepper-sprayed have been cleared of all charges and released and the University has accepted responsibility for their medical bills. UC Davis Chancellor Katehi is fighting, probably unsuccessfully, to keep her job. The Pepper Spraying Cop has become an Internet meme, synonymous with callous cruelty and repression of basic freedom the world over. The Occupy encampment in UC Davis is grown exponentially and inspired dozens of others. This whole cruelly disproportionate send-riot-police-and-fire-tear-gas-because-people-are-on-the-lawn is unraveling, getting what it deserved.

Posted by Acute Observer on Nov. 27, 2011 @ 11:23 am

obvious troll is obvious.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 28, 2011 @ 10:20 pm

God bless the police and their families. I saw a great post from an officer. He was talking about how he is the one percent and proud of it. He is the one person in 100 who will take the abuse from the crowd, keep calm, follow orders, make the tough call and then come back out the next day and protect the kid who was the most abusive. He will take the report of rape or assault or theft against that kid. He will investigate it. He will stand in harms way while the child rants and raves about him. He can see they are children and don't know better. He will be better than them .

God bless the officer who stood out there, followed orders and sprayed the kids. Bless him for facing the death threats from these peaceful kids. (Death threats are more harmful than pepper spray, right? I guess if you just chant that you are peaceful while you bully and threaten that makes it peaceful.) Bless his family. Maybe these kids will learn about duty and service before this is done.

Posted by liberal minded police supporter on Dec. 10, 2011 @ 9:21 am

And when the facists come for you?

Posted by Guestjeff on May. 17, 2012 @ 7:20 am

Amazing blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers?
I'm hoping to start my own website soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
Would you recommend starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option?
There are so many options out there that I'm totally overwhelmed .. Any tips? Thanks!

Posted by www.2012endoftheworld.co.uk on Sep. 27, 2012 @ 2:41 pm

UC Davis needs a new Chancellor.

Posted by isonespal on Nov. 21, 2011 @ 7:58 pm

God bless the overzealous police?! Even Fox News doesn't share that ignorant view.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 21, 2011 @ 8:46 pm

she's the reason why UC davis has moved far up in the ranks.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 22, 2011 @ 12:31 am

As a UC Davis Alumni I am shocked and outraged by the brutal treatment of peaceful UC Davis student protestors. I am further disgusted by the faux action the university is taking. An "investigation of the incident" is code for "we are going to do nothing now and in the long run." My faith in what I believed UCD stood for (personal growth and discovery through education and action) has been shaken to the core. Only when the police chief, Chancellor Katehi, and those who carried out the action are fired, will my faith once again be restored. Until that day comes, UCD; do not call for me as an alumni to contribute monetarily to the school.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 22, 2011 @ 2:40 pm

I had a very long debate with a friend last night. He seemed to only be able to communicate that when protesting, or having any interaction with the police, you need to use "common sense". He actually told me that morality nor ethics plays into their decision making process. Jut move when they tell you... use your common sense.
I told him that the first amendment to the Constitution allows for peaceful assembly, without limits, and freedom of speech. He said when they tell you to move, you have to move. I asked him if they could harm me if I did not move, he said naturally... use your common sense. Sounds to me that he understands that they are essentially lawless. This makes perfect sense to him, he has no problem with this fact, and uses the fact that cops get hurt in the line of duty as his justification. I can not buy this. They do have the reasonable right to arrest the protestors, not no right to harm them. In that they have the right to protest, as soon as the kids get to court the judge releases them.
In a way this entire conflict is just another representation of how far from "rights" we have become. Patriot act my ass. Evangelistic Christians want to take away our freedom of... everything, and gun toting Tea Baggers join with them.
There is an election coming up. Best start thinking about what you want because there are choices which will be very clear.
Firing the cop, the Chancellor, any of them will do little. Better that she be fired for using state taxes to build buildings to house the students she is recruiting from out of state. That was no American car she left in. We have a lot of thinking to do, and a lot of choices are before us. Occupy is merely pointing some of them out to us. Phew. When I first read about the spraying I thought it took place in Cuba.

Posted by Guest putitupmike on Nov. 22, 2011 @ 9:30 pm

The Christians and tea party members want to take my rights!

"The second amendment obsessed tea party members who we bitched and moaned about and the screamed racism about want to take out free speech rights"

This is high tin foil hat comedy.

Posted by matlock on Nov. 22, 2011 @ 11:02 pm

putitupmike, I am glad you are pissed off and want to resist and defend your rights, but you need to learn more about Cuba.

Here is a video of a recent protest in Cuba. You will note that there aren't any police attacking anyone in the video, and that the only opposition to the protesters is a peaceful counter protest by supporters of the revolution. (This, even though the group posting the video is an anti Castro group.):

As I said, you need to learn a lot more about Cuba.

'Looking For Fidel', is a film by Oliver Stone which shows a frank discussion with both Castro and his opposition, and reveals Cuba as it really is, as well as the true nature of the struggle with counter-revolutionaries there. It can be seen at:

Posted by Eric Brooks on Nov. 23, 2011 @ 1:45 am

I couldn't spell Afghanistan...

Posted by Guest putitupmike on Nov. 23, 2011 @ 9:36 am

Well told. Thanks, Mr. Brugmann. Your granddaughter is a woman of courage, unlike so many of her critics who sit behind their online anonymity and throw verbal grenades. Remind her she changed the world for the better by starting a necessary conversation about inequality. The occupiers won a major battle.
-- Jim Welke

Posted by Guest on Nov. 23, 2011 @ 7:07 am

I got no problem with a bunch of liberal geeks PEACEFULLY protesting....but the moment you surround police and won't let them leave or pass you are not being peacefull anymore. The protesters had more than enough time to move. They received warnings over and over and still they kept the police from passing through their PEACEFULL barricade.

Were they supposed to just sit down and sit on their hands untill the protesters were done? So they got sprayed, and is not the end of the world. They deserved to get sprayed. The officers should have put handcuffs on those students right their but they didn't. It made them look like they did something wrong (thats their fault) but they did exactly what they should have done.

So many people crying about the "evil" police. You will most certainly call 911 one and be desperatley crying for their help. They will provide it even after you un-deserving fools most certainly DO NOT deserve it.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 03, 2011 @ 6:14 pm
Posted by anonymous on Dec. 03, 2011 @ 8:24 pm

This shows different but i am sureeeeeeeeee you looked at the same edited video like every other fool.

Those kids got sprayed and they deserved every drop.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 04, 2011 @ 1:14 pm

Wow! Thanks for posting this so that we could see the entire incredibly inspiring event!

Peacefully surrounding cops and demanding they release arrestees was repeatedly used very successfully in Seattle, and that was all that was going on with the Davis surrounding action.

And almost all of those students doing the surrounding were -very- non-aggressively sitting down to do so. There was no aggression whatsoever toward the cops.

The point is to show the cops that they are off base both legally and morally, and that their authority to arrest peaceful protesters is bogus and not recognized as legitimate.

This was a totally nonviolent action in which not one cop was harmed, and the protesters secured their primary objective which was to peacefully force the police to leave. Note that even when a smaller number of protesters attempted to strike up the aggressive chant 'fuck the police' that was -very- rapidly quashed by consensus and the protest action of surrounding the cops was kept completely nonviolent.

They didn't.

And instead physically attacked protesters, and those brave protesters who all sat there and took that brutality, totally energized the dynamics of the entire Occupy and global movement.

Well done UC Davis students!

Posted by Eric Brooks on Dec. 04, 2011 @ 2:40 pm

The very act of the students surrounding the police and not letting them have a FREE PASSAGE is a violation of the law. Its being passive/aggresive. If you are police officer in that video which were about 20 or so?? would you feel safe trying to cross a "blockade" of upset/angry people? NOOOOOOOOOOO, it would not be the smart thing to do since they where at a severe disadvantage to the amount of them and the amount of protesters. Just because someone is being peacefull (how you would say) dosen't meant they are going to stay that way.

"To avoid the ongoing stalemate, all the cops had to do was release the arrestees.".........I love your statement here. Ummmm, so the police need to listen to demands? Hmmmm sound like threats to me. I guess the students are terrorist then in your statement since they did no comply with the demands of the people. Just silly. It didn't matter if the arrest was lawful or not. COURTS decided that, not citizens. Citizens do have right to take the law in their own hands to decide what is a lawful arrest. If you think that you can...you are a fool.

The students just needed to move out of the way of the police so they could get what they wanted, FOR THEM TO LEAVE.They didn't so they got sprayed. Their stupidity....their pain!!!

Posted by Guest on Dec. 04, 2011 @ 6:47 pm

Lol...my punctuation sucked here. Citizens DO NOT have the right to take the law into their own hand to decide what a lawful arrest is.

Fat fingers.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 04, 2011 @ 9:44 pm

"The very act of the students surrounding the police and not letting them have a FREE PASSAGE is a violation of the law. Its being passive/aggresive."

Being passively agressive is the skill that protesters use when they need a conflict with the police to further their cause. They take absolutely NO RESPONSIBILITY for this action. They just shrug and point at the police. Or they wail and wring their hands while tryig to look like hysterical victims. Many of the protesters are arrested with bricks and rocks in bags. Weapons that look like bedding. Let me look innocent, inflict harm and find a way to make you look bad for it. Protestor skill 101.

Peacefully surround, bully, intimidate, restrict movement. Just because you stick the word "peaceful" in front doesn't make it true.

How would you feel if your granddaughter was peacefully surrounded. People yelled at her to get her to release her wallet. Then, held in an appartment until she did so. That would be peaceful and lawful, right?

The funniest thing about people writing about this is that they seem to want to make the law fluid and fit their needs. These officers didn't make up the idea of a lawful order. This came from courts. These same laws are used to protect these kids.

Posted by liberal minded police supporter on Dec. 10, 2011 @ 10:28 am

You haven't seen the whole video. I would have agreed with you before I saw it. I hope you get to see the whole thing.

Posted by liberal minded police supporter on Dec. 10, 2011 @ 9:24 am

shows that the protesters did nothing aggressive whatsoever.

Posted by Eric Brooks on Dec. 10, 2011 @ 10:38 am

I support free speech and the police. I can really appreicate many of the points raised by the protesters. I don't think they are crazy hippies. But, just because they are passionate about their cause and on many points absolutely correct, they don't get to attempt to bully and surround the police. The police were calm and clear. Protest - no problem. Speak your mind - fantastic. Encamp - don't do it. Surround us and refuse lawful orders - we will take action. I think the protesters are being super chicken shit by refusing to take responsibility for their actions. They want to do illegal actions, get measured consequences and then call foul. That is the thing I think this lady is missing. Does she really want her kid to learn to bait, manipulate and twist facts - to pursue a cause at any cost? If so, bravo. If not, actually be the peaceful protestor. Cooperate with the police who are there to protect you and your campus. Follow the guidelines of the permit for assembly that you actually have (i.e. don't set up a tent). If you (or the people you are with), start to get out of line, join with the police to keep things calm. This lady has let her pasison cloud her judgment.

The other absolutely crazy fact is that these kids are protesting fee hikes. They are doing so in such a way that they are generating an incredible amount of cost - property damage, overtime. That is they funny thing to me. They would have done more for their cause if they could have followed the rules. Do you know how much guarding the little darlings while they camp costs? Investigate the cost to the university of the protesters in the trees a couple of years back. The police have to protect the hippies from the frat boys and criminals who come out to take advantage of them (they are kids with nice goodies to steal). And you better believe the grandmothers and parents will be on rant if they don't. It is the protesters who don't take responsibility. Their stupid actions just don't make sensational media. Too bad for that.

Posted by liberal minded police supporter on Dec. 10, 2011 @ 9:11 am

This protest has been a lesson in sensational media. I saw the clips that you saw and was originally concerned. Then I heard the whole and saw the whole story. If you watch the entier video you see that the "peaceful protesters" were surrounding the police and trying to bully them into releasing arrested protesters. The protesters chant all sorts of crap. At one point they actually chant a threat to the police, if you let them go we will be peaceful. A crowd doesn't get to bully the police.

By using pepper spray, the police actually protected your child. If she tries this crap off campus she is going to get arrested and get a criminal record. She is going to actually get hurt. College is about learning lessons. If you try to intimidate the police, surround them and threaten them, they will take action. Luckily, the UC police took measured, controlled action. They actually warned the kids before they sprayed them. The police gave the kids a chance to rethink their actions and then did it in a very controlled manner. All the sprayed kids new it was coming and had the chance to move.

Just because they chant "peaceful protest" doesn't make is peaceful. Watch the whole video. That officer is getting death threats. Is that peaceful? The admirable thing is that the police will go out there and protect your little girl. She can shout crap at them one minute and then they will protect her rights the next. These encampments attract bad elements to innocent college kids who are easy prey. Good thing for you is that the police don't hold a grudge. They will be out there protecting her and her right to free speach in the midst of her and your abuse of them. Hopefully she will learn something from their example.

Posted by liberal minded police supporter on Dec. 10, 2011 @ 8:54 am

Alright, the first comment that jumped out at me, "You're ignorant of American history. Peaceful protest makes America great." OWS doesn't come close to embodying any protest that has been deemed 'great' by the history books. What makes a protest successful - "great" - is when people *unite* over a common cause or belief and *act appropriately* in order to *achieve a goal*.
I'll tackle the *unite* part first. The only uniting I've seen after following the news and having actually been to these protests is the physical presence of people in whatever city. You ask people what they want, you get a dozen different answers, half of the people just say they're there to witness history. Even in this particular case, some of the students start chanting, "Fuck the police," while others tell them to stop. Get on the same page, guys. You want change? Organize yourselves. If you can't agree on what you want, you won't get what you want. You're setting yourselves up for disappointment.
*act appropriately*- If you're a parent, and your kid snaps at you, "I want you to buy me a car, I want it now, and it better be a nice one," are you going to want to help them? No. That's a ridiculous way of trying to negotiate with someone. I know that a new car and the demands of the protestors are entirely different issues, but the fact is that annoying someone (whether it's legal or not) is never going to persuade anyone. Understand that to corporations and the American government, you're a real pain, and if they don't like what you're doing, they have no reason to change the way they're acting. Like it or not, they hold most of the chips. Until that changes, they're gonna be calling most of the shots. Learn to communicate effectively and maybe you'll start to see more positive responses.
*achieve a goal*- What are your goals? Don't even try to compare OWS to historical movements in America or elsewhere. I've heard this compared to the civil rights movement of the 1950s-60s far too many times. First of all, get sprayed with a fire hose and get back up, then maybe I'll take that comparison a little more seriously. Secondly, I'm calling it right now, OWS will achieve nothing until they have a leader, or at least a face to associate with the cause. Another reason why OWS is not anything like the civil rights movement is because they're just a mass of shouting, disorganized people. They're clearly very passionate about their beliefs, which I give them credit for, but it's completely undirected and comes off as anarchy. A figurehead would change that, and would make the cause look a lot more legit (yeah, being legit seems to be around 90% of what gets people where they want to be, so OWS should work on that).
Also, know what you're fighting for. Wall St. isn't what you should be fighting. Capitalism is legal, and like any human, business men/women take advantage of the opportunities they have in order to make money, build an image, or support a family. If you're so concerned about the financial state of this country a) focus more on DC and the loose laws that make it easy for corporations to take advantage of their clients, and b) start suggesting solutions instead of just stating what have been very obvious issues since 2008. Nobody likes a 'Negative-Nancy' and I'd be willing to bet that your concerns would be a lot more well received if they were followed up by a, "______ might be a viable solution to this problem."
Some other things to consider:
-the 99% refers to anyone making less than $500,000/year. Half a million dollars. What a hardship. The actual amount of people that are below the poverty line ($22,500/year, enough to live, not necessarily comfortably. Comfort is a privilege, not a right) is 15%.
-It's kind of amusing how unemployment, low wages, and general unfair treatment have become such big topics as of late. This really makes a lot of the protestors look extremely ignorant. Have you ever considered that for minorities this has been an issue going on for so long in America that they have gotten to the point where they just accept that they are stuck with that life? Now 'White America' has to deal with oppression, and they throw a fit about it. Come on now. Grow up, make a directed effort to deal with the problem and you'll probably get some results. Getting as worked up as some people are over something that millions of people have lived with since the times of slavery is nothing but disrespectful to the victims of actual violence and oppression.
-I'm part of the 99%, I don't agree with greed, government corruption, etc., and in fact, I agree with most of the points the "99%" are bringing to light. I'd be happy to live in a place where everything is fair, and sorry to be the bearer of bad news,but life will never be fair. Deal. Once you learn to deal with what the current situation is, you'll be able to do better for yourself and help others. I'm embarrassed. My generation is being completely misrepresented by people who (while I know their intentions are good) don't know how to communicate and are therefore bringing even more trouble upon themselves. Pull yourselves together OWS. I'd love to actively support this movement, but frankly, I'd rather just work hard and get myself into a position where my vote carries weight so that I can help change America. If more people did that or something similar instead of occupying/shouting/wiggling fingers/complaining, I think we'd be moving forward at a faster pace. Just my (very extensive) two cents.

Posted by What do you expect? on Dec. 18, 2011 @ 12:11 am

"A concern troll is a false flag pseudonym created by a user whose actual point of view is opposed to the one that the user claims to hold. The concern troll posts in Web forums devoted to its declared point of view and attempts to sway the group's actions or opinions while claiming to share their goals, but with professed "concerns". The goal is to sow fear, uncertainty and doubt within the group."

Posted by anonymous on Dec. 18, 2011 @ 3:47 am

1- if you want to make a convincing argument, try to do more than just name calling.
2- ask anyone who's good at making an argument (i.e. someone who actually gets results. Not someone who repeats the same argument over and over without convincing anyone of anything), you should know the opposite argument as well if not better than your own.

Seeing as any constructive criticism seems to convince people that I'm trolling, you might as well be calling Ghandi, Malcom X, MLK, Martin Luther (Protestant Christianity), Abe Lincoln and Susan B. Anthony trolls. Not to compare myself to these greats, but they took care of business. The principle of actively pursuing a goal is one that has proven to be effective across the board. A leader, or as to not offend the insisted democratic structure of OWS, direction, is what this movement lacks. It certainly raises awareness of some very important issues, which is probably the best part, but as far as actually moving the efforts forward and attaining goals, I don't think anyone can really point out an instance where these protests have changed anything. This winter will reveal what everyone's true colors are. People WILL have to go inside, and those who are actually persistent will hopefully explore different avenues of communication. Then, maybe we'll start to see results.

Posted by What do you expect? on Dec. 18, 2011 @ 9:38 am

Bruce! Jean! Daniel!
and Rommel and Jupiter!!
If this is off-topic, it’s only because the SFBG’s website and blogs and subsidiary pages set new standards for impenetrability, opacity, and user-unfriendliness.
As a regular reader of the weekly print issue, I have a stake in your survival and influence. But you seem to go out of your way to flip me off.
If there is a way to contact via e-mail or blog response either the editorial honchos or the (two-person) circulation department, I haven’t found it. “For other matters, telephone (415) etc” doesn’t allow me to put my concerns on the record in a reliable form.
To wit: Why has the BG ceased getting its papers on the Berkeley streets every Wednesday, as it used to and as the East Bay Express and SF Weekly manage to? Up until a couple of months ago, I’d have no trouble finding a copy in a street box; and if boxes on my beat were empty, there’d be a pile on the counter in the main Berkeley Public Library. No more. It’s not just that they’re late; they never make it here at all most weeks. (It should be noted that the two boxes at the intersection of Bancroft and College, serving a limited segment of the UC campus, seem to be an exception to this state of affairs. But they are way off my route.)
To be outdone on this score by the SF Weekly is quite an accomplishment. Do you by any chance share the same East Bay subcontractor?

Posted by Guest on Mar. 17, 2012 @ 3:00 am