Guardian graphic by Louis Dunn
Rep. Ron Paul, in the Jan. 17th debate in Myrtle Beach in the Bible Belt of South Carolina, proposed that American foreign policy adhere to the "Golden Rule." The audience booed him.
"My point is if another country does to us what we do others, we're not going to like it very much," according to Saul Relatiive in Yahoo News. "So I would say that maybe we ought to consider a golden rule in--in foreign policy. Don't do to another nation...what we don't want to have them do to us."
Relative continued, "As reasonable as that may sound..and it is a rule taught by every major religion on a personal scale--the audience in South Carolina, made up of mostly white middle-aged evangelicals, were having none of it...How could the thought even be entertained? ...This is the state of the modern conservative movement: non-thinking, non-substantive, reactionary, bellicose, exceptionally arrogant, ignorant, and vindictive."
Read Relative's report in full: http://news.yahoo.com/christian-conservative-voters-boo-ron-pauls-golden...
Most Commented On
- Performance Art - December 9, 2013
- Warmongering - December 9, 2013
- 16 million new cars will be sold in the US in 2013. - December 9, 2013
- Nobody ever said that life was fair. It isn't. - December 9, 2013
- I would assume that there are budgetary restraints that prevent - December 9, 2013
- Cars aren't going away anytime soon - December 9, 2013
- "The Sustainable Streets - December 9, 2013
- Yeah, it's a damn shame San - December 9, 2013
- There are shelters for the homeless nut many of them choose - December 9, 2013
- "It's a power thing for us - December 9, 2013