On not leaving the field
Ring-wingers who want to be heard
Note Newt's place is solidly third.
But if right wing votes were combined,
The front-runner might fall behind.
So they say to Newt, "Won't you go?"
And Newt, being Newt, answers no.
Newt's ideological kin
Are dreading a moderate's win.
They argue that it would advance
The cause if Newt gave Rick a chance
To face Mitt not in a duet.
And Newt, being Newt, still says nyet.
"When England was under the blitz,
Did Churchill say,
'Let's call it quits'?"
Says Newt, That is not what you see
From statesmen like Churchill and me."
"Oh, please, just this once, Newt, they say.
And Newt, being Newt, says, "No way."
Calvin Trillin: Deadline Poet The Nation 4/9/2012
Most Commented On
- thats great - December 12, 2013
- Discover how to make money - December 12, 2013
- Essay writing help - December 12, 2013
- There She Goes Again" to - December 12, 2013
- Drive jacket - December 12, 2013
- Study Medicine (MBBS/ MD/ MS) in India/ Overseas - December 12, 2013
- Why isn't the Department of - December 11, 2013
- "I'm getting tired of trying - December 11, 2013
- Oh there you go again off the - December 11, 2013
- "The internet allows every - December 11, 2013