On not leaving the field
Ring-wingers who want to be heard
Note Newt's place is solidly third.
But if right wing votes were combined,
The front-runner might fall behind.
So they say to Newt, "Won't you go?"
And Newt, being Newt, answers no.
Newt's ideological kin
Are dreading a moderate's win.
They argue that it would advance
The cause if Newt gave Rick a chance
To face Mitt not in a duet.
And Newt, being Newt, still says nyet.
"When England was under the blitz,
Did Churchill say,
'Let's call it quits'?"
Says Newt, That is not what you see
From statesmen like Churchill and me."
"Oh, please, just this once, Newt, they say.
And Newt, being Newt, says, "No way."
Calvin Trillin: Deadline Poet The Nation 4/9/2012
Most Commented On
- Stop puffing the ganja and - April 15, 2014
- Subsidized bus riders - April 15, 2014
- The name is Benito - April 15, 2014
- how i got my soulmate back - April 15, 2014
- I HATE DAVID CAMPOS!!!!!!!!!! - April 15, 2014
- baba maliga is a real spell caster - April 15, 2014
- Oh Jeez, shut it down already... - April 15, 2014
- Sharon S. Everardo G . & company killed CCSF w/ protest - April 15, 2014
- Fight to build more - April 15, 2014
- Great job Chiu - April 15, 2014