On not leaving the field
Ring-wingers who want to be heard
Note Newt's place is solidly third.
But if right wing votes were combined,
The front-runner might fall behind.
So they say to Newt, "Won't you go?"
And Newt, being Newt, answers no.
Newt's ideological kin
Are dreading a moderate's win.
They argue that it would advance
The cause if Newt gave Rick a chance
To face Mitt not in a duet.
And Newt, being Newt, still says nyet.
"When England was under the blitz,
Did Churchill say,
'Let's call it quits'?"
Says Newt, That is not what you see
From statesmen like Churchill and me."
"Oh, please, just this once, Newt, they say.
And Newt, being Newt, says, "No way."
Calvin Trillin: Deadline Poet The Nation 4/9/2012
Most Commented On
- Then I think that "traditional" or "conventional" would have - July 23, 2014
- Mike Love is well known for - July 23, 2014
- My name is Lorna smith, and I - July 23, 2014
- An amazing testimony on a - July 23, 2014
- H. Brown: Goodbye to all that, we hope - July 23, 2014
- The writer clearly does not - July 23, 2014
- NSA surveillance scandal goes full tilt clown - July 23, 2014
- If the initiative has broad support, then money won't matter - July 23, 2014
- Yes, similar comments were made about Emma's piece on - July 23, 2014
- No Wall on the Waterfront wins big, Chiu prevails in Assembly - July 23, 2014