World championship robotics competition: A bittersweet day for the D'Penguineers
And so the celebrated D'Penguineers from Dos Pueblos High School in Goleta won the creativity award but lost its last two matches in the World Championship Robotics Competition last weekend in St. Louis, Missouri.The two heart-breaking losses wrecked the team's chances for a championship. Here's the excellent summing up by the NoozHawk online newspaper produced by students from the Dos Pueblos Engineering Academy public relations and events team. Nicholas Perez, an ace driver for the D'Penguineers, is shown partially with his coach Amir Abo-Shaeer in the second photo in the link below.
Perez commented, "Even though we lost in the semi-finals due to field issues that were uncontrollable and unforeseen, we are still considered one of the most elite teams with one of the strongest robots in the world. Our robot was the highest scoring robot out of 402 competing robots. Basketball legend and the NBA's highest scoring player, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, came and watched our team compete and dominate on the field. He said he was really impressed with our shooting."
Suggestion: go to the bottom of the link to get more information on the D'Penguineers and the Dos Pueblos Engineering Academy. It's widely known as one of the best high school engineering programs in the country.
Above, D'Penguineer's 1717 drive team (from left to right): Lane Fuller, Nick De Heras, Jamil Abo-Shaeer, Coach Amir Abo-Shaeer, Nicholas Perez, and on the bottom Kareem Abdul Jabbar. b3
Most Commented On
- How to survive as an artist in SF's 'new economy' - July 31, 2014
- Barbie gets a makeover, San Francisco-style - July 31, 2014
- I went to college with some of them in the 80's - July 31, 2014
- We need to take action on - July 31, 2014
- Lilli, have you ever played any sports? - July 31, 2014
- Are you saying that we should expand our transit system? - July 31, 2014
- The city just needs to pick the money tree out back again. - July 31, 2014
- It isn't supposed to be an accurate - Joe Fitzgerald wrote it. - July 31, 2014
- Of course, while sending this - July 31, 2014
- I've come to think the ones who want to build in the park are - July 31, 2014