On the Rise: A Joan Jett-esque force on stage and off
After her other bands naturally fizzled, Allyson Baker was done. "I was burnt," says the hard-rocking guitarist, clad in her signature black leather jacket, with a rocker's fringe of black bangs framing her face. Luckily for us, she got the rock'n'roll bug again around 2006, and picked up the pieces for a new project — Dirty Ghosts (www.dirtyghosts.com). Since then the act has gone through a dozen formations, with even more drummers, but one thing remains consistent: Baker herself, a Joan Jett-esque force on stage and off.
Over the past few years the singer-guitarist has recorded and rerecorded a core set of 10 songs, some with the digital help of her husband rapper Aesop Rock, others with session musicians and creative pals. She'll finally release the full length LP Metal Moon (Last Gang Records) Feb. 21. A few days later (Feb. 23) she'll play an unofficial album release show as part of Noise Pop's 20th anniversary (9 p.m., $10–$20. Brick and Mortar, 1710 Mission, SF. www.brickandmortarmusic.com). The year is Baker's for the taking.
Description of sound: 1960s funk, '70s rock, '80s new wave, '00s R&B, good times/bad times.
What do you like most about the Bay Area music scene: I think this city has a musical history that's one of the best and most unique, so even to able to exist in the place where that happened I think is pretty special.
What piece of music means the most to you and why: New Age by Chrome. It's so simple and it's got all of the elements. It's perfect.
Favorite local eatery and dish: I don't wanna be boring and say the super burrito at Cancún which is my real answer, so the margarita pizza at Una Pizza Napoletana
Who would you most like tour with: Swiftumz.
Most Commented On
- Was Bruce part of the - June 20, 2013
- H Brown with Chris Daly - June 19, 2013
- Oops! I accidentally - June 19, 2013
- A Tremendous Loss For Journalism - June 19, 2013
- Win what? - June 19, 2013
- http://www.genericviagratab.com/ - June 19, 2013
- The winger trolls win when intelligent commenters become - June 19, 2013
- Would you prefer that the - June 19, 2013
- I think you'd settle for "the Guardian's FUTURE to be assured" - June 19, 2013
- mwuahhhhhhh - June 19, 2013