- This Week
07.20.06 - 12:26 pm | Tim Redmond |
By Tim Redmond
Everyone knows that the East Bay Express and the SF Weekly are owned by Village Voice Media (formerly New Times), but this weeks editions were a sign of what that sort of industry consolidation can mean for readers. The cover story in the Express? A profile of talk-show host Michael Savage by Ron Russel. The cover story in the SF Weekly? A profile of Michael Savage by Ron Russel.
I know that for years, NT/VVM headquarters in Phoenix has been pushing the members of its chain -- there are 17 now -- to share stories as a way of saving money. But we've never actually seen a shared cover story in the Bay Area before.
The art is slightly different, and so is the headline, but come on: The same cover story on two papers that circulate in the same market area? That's really lame.
(Even sfist, which ranks the local weeklies every week, took these guys to task.)
Most Commented On
- Global Climate Warming - March 12, 2014
- Which of course is an art form. - March 12, 2014
- The nanny state never ceases in its mission to control every - March 12, 2014
- No flossing = expensive dental visit - March 12, 2014
- Different Strokes - March 12, 2014
- No, that would defeat the whole purpose of shuttles - March 12, 2014
- Wheelie - March 12, 2014
- It was a gentle, light-hearted parody of the kind of people who - March 12, 2014
- Distraction from Reality does NOT change TRUTH ... - March 12, 2014
- The rule is four or maybe - March 12, 2014