- This Week
09.05.06 - 1:01 pm | Music Blogger |
By Kimberly Chun
It's trippy but true: if you feel nostalgic for snow in the middle - or well, the tail end - of summer, you should head up to Lassen Volcanic National Park, north of Sacramento and chock-full of geothermal drama like boiling rivers, gurgling mudpots, and jagged rock formations. When I headed up with my veteran camping pal D, the campgrounds were relatively unpopulated; purple, yellow, and pink wildflowers were abundant; and dang, but wasn't there an amazing amount of snow and ice on the ground - still dirty and frozen and seeded with pine needles at 7,000 feet. And ready to be fashioned into summer snow poodles (with thumbs, to boot).
Frolick in the snow in late August. It's possible at certain altitudes, dudes.
Most Commented On
- Yeah, I've been doing short-term rentals for fifteen years - July 30, 2014
- It's mostly Hispanics where you are but, either way, - July 30, 2014
- And yet Lee's approval ratings are way higher than Mirk's - July 30, 2014
- A good reason to use artificial turf then - July 30, 2014
- "Progressive" is a meaningless term anyway - July 30, 2014
- SLcSEATWCAHz - July 30, 2014
- Nonsense, all SF politicians are liberals - July 30, 2014
- I see no evidence of a documented link there - July 30, 2014
- "Next election"? - July 30, 2014
- not true! - July 30, 2014