- This Week
02.09.07 - 3:54 pm | Steven T. Jones |
By Steven T. Jones
We warned last summer that fun in San Francisco was being threatened by NIMBYs and overzealous bureaucrats. Well, now we've just seen the sourpusses strike down one of the best street fairs in San Francisco: the How Weird Street Faire, an open air dance party that drew about 8,000 attendees last year.
Based on complaints from 10 residents (who appear to have been whipped up by one particularly vocal opponent of the fair), the city's Interdepartmental Staff Committee on Traffic and Transportation yesterday denied How Weird organizers their permits, effectively killing an event planned for May 6. Read next week's Guardian for the details, as well as ways to make public your concerns about maintaining our vibrant urban culture.
Most Commented On
- I don't disagree with anything you've written... - December 19, 2013
- Luxury is the best bet right now - December 19, 2013
- Envy has nothing to do with - December 19, 2013
- Nothing says "I'm a - December 19, 2013
- Thank you to gussdolan and Jason - December 19, 2013
- Wow. The shuttles sit in the bus stops for 30 minutes! Who knew? - December 19, 2013
- Tech Buses should be more responsible partners - December 19, 2013
- Good intentions, failed understandings - December 19, 2013
- Except that you are making that up. - December 19, 2013
- Funny, I was sitting at the same cafe - December 19, 2013