- This Week
03.08.07 - 8:16 am | Amanda Witherell |
by Amanda Witherell
It's almost fair and festival season in San Francisco, but we'll see if some actually get a chance to be staged in the neighborhoods where they were born.
The North Beach Festival had a setback yesterday at the Operations Committee of the Recreation and Park Commission. According to festival organizer, Marsha Garland, commissioners Megan Levitan and Tom Harrison expressed concern about alcohol being consumed in city parks and the committee decided to kick the issue up to the full commission. Last year the same issues came up and Garland had made some changes to her proposal -- no sale of booze in the park and more fencing of the masses -- in order to mitigate concerns that the park and surrounding neighborhood are adversely affected rather during the two days of the festival. Garland and many merchants and citizens consider the festival a boon, bringing additional commerce and attention to their area of the city. An anti-group thinks the hood doesn't need it.
Meanwhile, the future of the Haight Street Fair is being discussed tonight at the Park Branch Library, from 7 to 9 pm. Some key city and neighborhood planners will be there and it's sponsored by the HAIGHT ASHBURY NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL (For more information, call Karen Fishkin, 921-2032).
Most Commented On
- Never had a bad can ride in 30 years - December 11, 2013
- The internet allows every - December 11, 2013
- Homeless people and 'undesireables' living in mid market - December 11, 2013
- Ha! That's quite a fantasy - December 11, 2013
- Economic cleansing - December 11, 2013
- What a mealy-mouthed comment. - December 11, 2013
- Of course - December 11, 2013
- Sounds like an oldie with an axe to grind - December 11, 2013
- Agreed. "Look for him to find - December 11, 2013
- Don't get me wrong. This guy - December 11, 2013