- This Week
04.30.07 - 3:21 pm | sfbg |
By Tim Redmond
You can scroll down a bit and see all of my observations from the state Democratic Convention in San Diego, but now that I'm back, a few last thoughts (until I have more last thoughts):
The most bizarre statement by a major candidate: Hillary Clinton saying that we need to bring illegal immigrants "out of the shadows" -- so we can track them in case they're terrorists.
The most startling fact: Unless I missed something, John Edwards was the only major presidential candidate who mentioned the word "poverty."
Worst sense of history: Assembly speaker Fabian Nunez calling the era of the Clinton presidency "the golden years."
Loser: Hillary Clinton, who started off great but lost the crowd, and got heckled, when she timidly got into Iraq. .
Disappointment: Barack Obama, who came in like a rock star, spoke brilliantly,was great on the war, but offered few specifics and didn't stop to talk to the press.
Winner: John Edwards didn't get to speak until Sunday morning, but I agree with Paul Hogarth: He turned around more delegates than anyone else.
Best speech: hands down, Maxine Waters
Most Commented On
- An emergency 12-month - March 7, 2014
- 20 years is not enough to - March 7, 2014
- Price controls always suppress supply leading to higher prices - March 7, 2014
- Too many people make money from rent control for it to go away - March 7, 2014
- REPEAL RENT CONTROL - March 7, 2014
- Aaron, how do you know it is just one commentator here who - March 7, 2014
- marcos - March 7, 2014
- Robert, I know for a fact that Aaron blocked a poster without - March 7, 2014
- He said "moderated by a poet" so clearly he was referring to the - March 7, 2014
- From my experience there's - March 7, 2014