Get yer bike on: Gas-Free Fridays start tomorrow

By Amanda Witherell

Picture 3.png

I've become a happier person since I sold my Jetta and started traveling almost exclusively by bicycle. Every time I've driven a car in San Francisco the experience has left me frustrated, annoyed, and feeling like I didn't get where I was going any faster than I would have on my bicycle. I'm not alone -- car sales statewide are down, the big three automakers are crying poverty and just got a $25 billion loan from President George W. Bush, and according to a recent national survey by Bikes Belong, of 150 bike stores polled, 73 percent said they're selling more bikes this year.

So, it's fantastic to see this new initiative designed to get people out of their cars at least once a week. Launched by the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition, they make the case for picking the bike over the car by pointing out that 50 percent of the city's emissions come from transportation and half of all car trips within the city are less than two miles -- an easy pedal on a bicycle. Furthermore, cars emit the most pollution during the first few minutes they're running, which means that short car trips are the worst for the environment.

"Bicyclists will also be rewarded by knowing that riding a bicycle 10-miles a day versus owning and driving will save them $8,000/year, will burn an average of 110,250 calories (that's 35lbs of fat!), and save our city 3,500 lbs. of greenhouse gas emissions every year," states a press release from the SFBC.

They'll be hosting warm-up stations at various locations where cyclists can grab free snacks and cups of fair-trade coffee and tea. Look for them tomorrow at:

Oct. 3rd: Market and 12th Streets, 7:30-9:30am
Oct. 10th: Valencia and 17th Streets, 7:30-9:30am
Oct. 17th: Embarcadero (between the Ferry Building and Justin Herman Plaza), 7:30-9:30am
Oct. 24th: City Hall, Polk and Grove Streets, 7:30-9:30am
Oct. 31st: Folsom and 7th Streets, 7:30-9:30am

Comments

Thanks Again Amanda, and Guardian News of San Fransisco. Happy Easter, Peace, and Love to you all.

Posted by Tharon Chandler on Apr. 08, 2009 @ 5:04 pm

Huh?

Ford Motor Company took no Bailout Money!

You Idiot. You Stooge. You Imbecile.

Nick Lewis

Posted by nick lewis on Jan. 17, 2009 @ 5:36 pm

what an ass you truly are, nick lewis.

Posted by Marke B on Jan. 21, 2009 @ 10:45 am

I think riding a bicycle is the way to travel throughout the city. The only problem is that the other drivers on the road pose a major challenge. I think with all the winding roads combined with Muni buses and trains, we have to be careful!

Posted by Steven Schneider on Feb. 23, 2009 @ 10:28 am
Eli

i LOVE riding my bike to work. i just started and am so much happier. cheers!

Posted by Eli on Feb. 26, 2009 @ 8:47 am

Hey Amanda at the Guardian, you are writing a lot of Groovy Right-On Information about living better and living Greener (pertaining to such concepts as bike riding and getting good food). Lately I have been less able to get my proper nutrition and exercise due to the necessity of my avoiding persecution by Southern right Wing-Nuts.

You wrote something I'm still searching to read again, about supplying Good food to Seniors and the Disabled. I'm legally disabled yet certainly able to cook good fresh vegetables and dried legumes (and i enjoy eating them). The "Homeless", such as myself, deserve a place to be able to prepare nutritious meals (without having to be poisoned and puked-out by the profiteers providing meals in the parks and shelters, etc). Ralph Nader mentioned thus in his recent visit to Oakland, about people putting stuff in others food and thousand dying unexplainedly, each year.

Also, I recently was able to 'ride a bike' after months of too much walking and bus riding and the experience encouraged my whole body to be more 'pumped up' and stronger and my entire penus harder. Thanks for mentioning the concepts.

Posted by Tharon Chandler on Oct. 06, 2008 @ 8:30 am