THURSDAY, FEB. 11
Let BART know
Protest the upcoming BART Board meeting, which follows BART attorney Dale Allen's announcement that BART intends to "vigorously fight [a lawsuit brought by friends of Oscar Grant] based on their contributing actions to the tragic accident." Ex-BART police officer Johannes Mehserle is being tried for murder in the case.
9 a.m., free
20th St. Mall, third floor
344 20th St., Oakl.
Responding to Mein Kampf
Attend this exhibit by French artist Linda Ellia, where pages of Hitler's book Mein Kampf (My Struggle) have been transformed by artists, youths, and citizens into transformative artistic responses to the text creating a new book, Notre Combat (Our Struggle).
11 a.m., $10
Contemporary Jewish Museum
736 Mission, SF
She wrote it
Attend the first lecture in the Radical Women's 2010 Feminist Theory Series for a discussion with author and socialist feminism pioneer Clara Fraser on her book Revolution, She Wrote.
7 p.m., free
625 Larkin, Suite 202, SF
V-Day East Bay
Celebrate the diversity and strength of local women at this performance of Eve Ensler's play The Vagina Monologues starring local women. Proceeds benefit global women's organizations.
8 p.m., $10
La Peña Cultural Center
3105 Shattuck, Berk.
Dine and do good. Pick up a copy of Young Workers United 2010 Restaurant Guide to Guilt-Free Eating, which recognizes restaurants in San Francisco that provide good working environments and delicious food.
6:30 p.m., $5$10 suggested donation
Audre Lorde Room
3543 18th St., SF
FRIDAY, FEB. 12
Attend this screening of the Kevin Epps film, The Black Rock: The Untold Story of the Black Experience on Alcatraz, which chronicles the role of African Americans in the history of Alcatraz.
8 p.m., $6
Artists' Television Access
992 Valencia, SF
SATURDAY, FEB. 13
Save Stowe Lake Boathouse
Enjoy free festivities and snacks for the whole family at this historic boathouse building and help send a message to the SF Recreation and Park Department that you oppose the take-over of the top floor of the boathouse for an indoor, privately-owned restaurant. Rain cancels.
11 a.m., free
Stowe Lake Boathouse
Golden Gate Park
50 Stow Lake Drive, SF
TUESDAY, FEB. 16
MTA Not ATM
Protest Muni's service cutbacks and fee hikes at this rally and press conference preceding a 2 p.m. MTA board meeting. Demand that the city implement progressive taxes instead of "taxing" the people who rely on Muni to get to work.
1 p.m., free
Steps of City Hall
1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, SF
Mail items for Alerts to the Guardian Building, 135 Mississippi St., SF, CA 94107; fax to (415) 255-8762; or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a contact telephone number. Items must be received at least one week prior to the publication date.
Most Commented On
- Navajo Nation Makes Healthy Food Choices Tax-Free - March 15, 2014
- It happens because SF spends $165 million a year on the homeless - March 15, 2014
- They have that right only as long as they do not commit - March 15, 2014
- Who put you in charge of who deserves to live here? - March 15, 2014
- Cleaning up the plaze requires only that the SRO residents are - March 15, 2014
- If Zuckerberg can live in the Mission, Steven, then why not - March 15, 2014
- Idora, you are the one who implied that this guy could not - March 15, 2014
- Still, nobody is being "displaced" by this project - March 15, 2014
- The bond for a $23,000 bail is 10% or $2,300 which you do not - March 15, 2014
- I knew it was you - March 15, 2014