By Oona Robertson
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 31
"Dinner, Disco, & Dance"
Mayoral candidate John Avalos, Sheriff candidate Ross Mirkarimi, and District Attorney candidate David Onek will speak at this fundraiser for low income, disabled, and military veteran medical cannabis patients. The event is presented by Axis of Love, a care facility for these underprivileged entities. The fundraiser seeks donations of food items, harm reduction supplies, and personal hygiene items. Dinner will be provided to all.
4:30-6:30 p.m., donation
Women's Building Auditorium
3543 !8th St. #8, SF
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 2
Art Break Day 2011
An annual free Bay Area art event is taking place Saturday with free artistic stations set up at various locations in the area. The event is hosted by an artist-run nonprofit called Art is Moving, whose mission is to make art accessible and free to the public. There will be an art station in San Francisco's Justin Herman Plaza as well as in San Rafael, Richmond, Berkeley and Oakland. All artwork collected during the day will be compiled into an exhibition visiting each of these cities from October 2011 to February 2012.
9 a.m-5 p.m., free
Justin Herman Plaza
1 Market, SF
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 6
Opposing pension reform
The United Public Workers For Action is holding this rally against Propositions C and D, the rival pension reform initiatives supported by mayoral candidates Ed Lee and Jeff Adachi. City workers and retirees will speak on the initiatives, the demonization of public workers, and how the measures will affect services and workers.
5-7 p.m., free
Main Library Latino/Hispanic Community Meeting Room
100 Larkin, SF
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 7
Mayoral Candidates Forum
The Barbary Coast Neighborhood Association and the Golden Gateway Tenants Association are hosting this forum to meet San Francisco mayoral candidates. David Chiu and Tony Hall, among others, will be attending.
6-8 p.m., free
KGO-TV 2nd floor meeting room
900 Front St., SF
Mail items for Alerts to the Guardian Building, 135 Mississippi St., SF, CA 94107; fax to (415) 437-3658; or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a contact telephone number. Items must be received at least one week prior to the publication date.
Most Commented On
- No, Greg, I'm not saying that you should join the trolls. - March 16, 2014
- Same dealio either way. - March 16, 2014
- That's in the Mish. - March 16, 2014
- Ah, so you admit you referred to an alleged conspiracy that was - March 16, 2014
- So you're saying I should join the trolls - March 16, 2014
- Yes I am denying that - March 16, 2014
- Nobody gives a crap about your Che fantasies, Greg. - March 16, 2014
- Calling yourself "Greg" is no different than calling yourself - March 16, 2014
- Greg, are you seriously denying that you accused the Ed Lee - March 16, 2014
- I didn't know there were 15 million Venezuelans - March 16, 2014