Guardian Mayoral Forum
This Guardian-sponsored mayoral forum caps a series of five events this summer in which community members, policy experts, and progressive groups have created an agenda that serves all San Franciscans (see "A new progressive agenda, 9/13/11). All the major mayoral candidates have been asked to review that agenda and they'll publicly weigh in with where they stand on the issues and solutions it addresses.
6 p.m., free
1800 Market, SF
Join the Independent Living Resource Center of San Francisco and other groups representing seniors, the disabled, and social justice advocates in a demonstration against the deep cuts to Medicaid that are now being discussed by Congress and the White House. Attendees will be asked to write their names and stories on a blank strip of paper that will be linked together in a long chain.
Civic Center Plaza
Polk and Grove, SF
Rev. Billy at Revolution Books
Writers and performance artists Savitri D and Bill Talen will discuss their new book, The Reverend Billy Project: From Rehearsal Hall to Super Mall with the Church of Life After Shopping, which chronicles their creation of an effective and inspiring anti-consumerist group in New York City. Talen assumes his evangelical alter ego of Reverend Billy to preach against the evils of everything from corporate-controlled sweatshops and chain stores to mountain-top removal coal mining, delivering heavy message with a fun and engaging flair, backed by a large choir.
7 p.m., free
2425 Channing, Berk.
The ARTery Project
The San Francisco Arts Commission and various City Hall officials have been trying to enliven the Central Market area with series of arts initiatives they've dubbed the ARTery Project, ranging from the Art in Storefronts effort to the recent placement of artist Karen Cusolito's Dandelion sculpture (originally created for Burning Man) in United Nations Plaza. The commission's 2011 photography interns will display their work on the project during this reception.
5-7 p.m. Free
Sup. Jane Kim's office
1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett, SF
Mail items for Alerts to the Guardian Building, 135 Mississippi St., SF, CA 94107; fax to (415) 437-3658; or e-mail email@example.com. Please include a contact telephone number. Items must be received at least one week prior to the publication date.
Most Commented On
- Probably nothing more to it than just an accident; - March 12, 2014
- Insurance - March 12, 2014
- Time to fess up. Greg, - March 12, 2014
- No, it was caused by an Uber - March 12, 2014
- Steven, do you understand the difference between an idea and the - March 12, 2014
- Newsflash to wired guy and - March 12, 2014
- Wait, I thought the fire was caused by a google shuttle bus? - March 12, 2014
- Inside insurance jobs happen durtng down RE markets. - March 12, 2014
- The progressive theory is that new homes increases rents and - March 12, 2014
- Intelligence vs. Cynicism - March 12, 2014