FRIDAY, JAN 20
Occupy Wall Street West
OccupySF revs back up for a day of nonviolent mass action to connect their protest against Wall Street banks and corporations to foreclosures, evictions, and homelessness here in San Francisco. The day will include teach-ins, marches, rallies, and "many ways to participate without risking arrest!"
Mobilizations at 6 a.m., noon, and 5 p.m., free
101 Market, SF
A screening of the landmark Bay Area grassroots/indie film Chalk, which tells the story of competition, family, justice, and a game of pool. The film is a product of the Tenderloin Action Group, which creates "responsive cinema, generated out of the streets from pain and sacrifice, made from sweat, tears, and anguish." Join producers Ethan Sing and Rand Crook for this screening.
2 p.m., free
Koret Auditorium, San Francisco Public Library main branch
100 Larkin, SF
Rally for Reproductive Justice
This annual rally for a woman's right to choose started to counter-protest the pro-life Walk for Life march. This year, a rally will be held with speakers Sen. Mark Leno, Sup. David Chiu, and representatives from Slutwalk, Radical Women, and CA NOW. Also featuring a DIY art/activist tent and balloon artists and face paint for kids. Organized by Bay Area Coalition for our Reproductive Rights (BACORR.)
11 a.m., free
Justin Herman Plaza
Embarcadero and Market, SF
The Kenneth Harding Jr. Foundation, in commemoration of the 19-year-old who was killed by San Francisco Police officers on July 16, calls for a protest to demand justice. Harding was unarmed when he exited the T train and was asked by police to show his transfer.
Instead, he ran away and police shot and killed him. Organizers plan to surround Candlestick Park during the NFC championship game to "raise awareness that police in the Bay View/Hunters Point community are killing our kids, violating our rights, and trying to silence us."
602 Jamestown Ave, SF
Most Commented On
- I'm not writing about deductions, but - May 23, 2013
- WHITE PEOPLE PROBLEMS - May 23, 2013
- I understand perfectly that you cannot restrict who - May 23, 2013
- "Peter", some of us have done very well because of the - May 23, 2013
- There was an old fart, - May 23, 2013
- Lilli, learn how to add links or people here will just think - May 23, 2013
- Agree 100%. This alleged concern for renters is little more than - May 23, 2013
- By that argument, Greg, we should abolish all welfare. - May 23, 2013
- "Subsidies for the elite2 is highly misleading. - May 23, 2013
- Case Law, Not constitutional theory - May 23, 2013