Pity the Billionaire
Best-selling author Thomas Frank will discuss his new book Pity the Billionaire: The Hard Times Swindle and the Unlikely Resurgence of the American Right. Frank set out in 2009 to research expressions of American discontent after the financial collapse — and he found the Tea Party. A frank discussion on why this recession led to "loud demands that the economic system be made even harsher on the recession's victims and that society's traditional winners be given even grander shares."
7:30 p.m., $12
Berkeley Hillside Club
2286 Cedar, Berk
Occupy the UN
A rally, march, and educational forum on the rights of indigenous people. Meet at the Human Rights Commission office and march to UN Plaza to "demand repatriations for the theft of tribal lands, gold, and other natural resources and address issues of civil rights violations, hate crimes, broken treaties, and the human rights inherent to all indigenous people."
10:30 a.m., free
Human Rights Commission
25 Van Ness, SF
Community response to homelessness
A panel discussion featuring homeless advocates with the Homeless Outreach Team, Project Homeless Connect, and Veterans Connect.
2 p.m., free
San Francisco Public Library main branch
100 Larkin, SF
Love Balm for My Spirit Child
A four-part "healing performance workshop" celebrating the importance of mothers' memory in resistance and justice movements. An innovative mix of testimony, spirituality, rally, and theater that will end in a candlelight vigil.
3 p.m., $5-$20
Eastside Cultural Center
2277 International Blvd, Oakl.
- One can keep all the existing - August 21, 2014
- We don't need a shit ton of condos - August 20, 2014
- Why sf why not San Jose? - August 20, 2014
- Ed Lie's support is less than - August 20, 2014
- Didn't Ronald Reagan say that - August 7, 2014
- Except that they've not been - August 7, 2014
- They're outraged but they don't want any Palestinians in - August 7, 2014
- At least we have the - August 7, 2014
- Yeah the Sunni and Shia have - August 7, 2014
- The US and UK and later - August 7, 2014