Forum: What's Next for Progressives
Unitarian-Universalist Center, 1187 Franklin, SF. tinyurl.com/pdasf-prog. 7-9pm, free. "Why wait years to challenge the rightward momentum coming from the top of the Democratic Party?" Author and activist Norman Solomon writes in a recent essay. "There is no better time to proceed ... than right now." At this public forum sponsored by the San Francisco chapter of Progressive Democrats of America, Solomon will join panelists Karen Bernal, chair of the Progressive Caucus of the California Democratic Party, and Jodi Reid, executive director of the California Alliance for Retired Americans, in an exchange of ideas for advancing progressive ideals in national politics.
Rally to Stop Attack on Rent Control City Hall, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett, SF. tinyurl.com/for-tenants. 12pm, free. Join housing activists for a rally on the steps of City Hall to fend off proposed legislation that could result in an increase in tenant evictions to make way for condominiums. After the rally, make your voice heard at a public hearing of the Board of Supes Land Use Committee at 1 p.m.
Benefit for Strike Debt Roxie Theatre 3117 16th St., SF. tinyurl.com/no-debtBA. 7:30-9:30pm, $10. "You Are Not A Loan" is a fundraiser for Strike Debt Bay Area, a regional chapter of the Occupy Wall Street-affiliated Strike Debt, created to "foster resistance to all forms of debt imposed on us by the banks." Featuring performances by the legendary Jello Biafra, comedians Sean Keane, Kevin O'Shea and others; drag star Lil' Miss Hot Mess, and more.
Roe v Wade: 40th Anniversary Celebration Justin Herman Plaza, SF. 10am-noon, free. Join this community celebration for women's rights. Featuring appearances by Dancing without Borders' One Billion Rising Dance Flash mob, balloon twisters, airbrush tattoos, a facepainter, Bubble artist Sterling the Bubblesmith, live music by Trapdoor Social, pro-choice banners and speeches by legal abortion pioneer Pat Maginnis and other community advocates. Silver Ribbon to Trust Women coalition.
Most Commented On
- So if that bike rider has - December 12, 2013
- Cyclists are all spandex wearing white elitists - December 12, 2013
- Jane Kim should hire a serial rapist - December 12, 2013
- The city should find a way to - December 12, 2013
- Good point - I was mistaking Steven for a journalist. - December 12, 2013
- They wear Lycra in Aspen, no? - December 12, 2013
- We ban lots of things in SF - December 12, 2013
- Yes, our favorite Korean Tracy Flick - December 12, 2013
- "cars are subsidized" - December 12, 2013
- Cycling is for the privileged. - December 12, 2013