"Myths and Realities: Social Security, Medicare and the Fiscal Cliff" Unitarian Universalist Center, 1187 Franklin, SF. www.uusf.org. 7pm, free. Michael Eisenscher, National Coordinator of U.S. Labor Against the War, and Jack Rasmus, author of<I> Epic Recession: Prelude to Global Depression</I> will discuss President Obama's recent State of the Union address, how budget cuts will affect the country, and how progressives can respond. A Q&A session is set to follow the panel discussion.
Tar Sands Blockade Benefit 3030 B 16th Street, SF. station40events.wordpress.com. Doors open at 5pm. Three course vegan sit-down dinner at 6pm, $15. Advance ticket purchase required. Teach-in and Q&A 8-9pm, free. No ticket required. The Tar Sands Blockade is inviting people across North America to join a peaceful direct action campaign to stop the Keystone XL pipeline.The organization has joined forces with people from a wide variety of backgrounds who believe that the extraction of tar sands in Canada will be detrimental for the climate and are currently building a movement to stop the pipeline. Support their efforts at this fundraiser.
Berkeley Copwatch Workshop Grassroots House, 2022 Blake, Berk. www.berkeleycopwatch.org. 5:30-7pm, free. Activists, organizers, rebels, concerned civilians, and family members from communities of struggle across the Bay Area to will come together for a facilitated conversation on policing and safety. Students will experience issues faced by residents in high crime areas and the dangers that racial profiling, and civil and human rights abuse can bring to a community. Also included: Basic training in criminal procedure, power analysis, and techniques for observing police activity.
Most Commented On
- Scapegoats - December 20, 2013
- Google Bus blocked in TWO Oakland locations - December 20, 2013
- Inconveniencing a bunch of - December 20, 2013
- mmmkay - December 20, 2013
- The inconvenience isn't minor. - December 20, 2013
- It's not a choice for the - December 20, 2013
- What an assorted ragbag of protesters - December 20, 2013
- I thought the problem was about using the muni bus stops. - December 20, 2013
- Wrong, Mike, that would be illegal is not declared. - December 20, 2013
- Mayor's retainer - December 20, 2013