- This Week
04.30.10 - 4:23 pm |
Curiosities, quirks, oddites, and items from around the Bay and beyond
The Internet has always been made of cats!
An 82-year old Indian man has survived for 70 years without food or drink. Meanwhile, a 54 year-old Chinese man claims to have eaten 1,500 light bulbs over 42 years. We'll just stick to popcorn, thanks (but only with real butter).
"A witch hunt for men with tanned and muscular bodies on the beach is the last thing anybody wants." Indeed.
For African Clawed Frogs, is it easier being green knowing that they share at least 1,700 genes with humans?
Bacon has not jumped the shark (at least in San Francisco).
And on a more serious note, this brief profile of Peter B. Howard, owner of the renowned Serendipity Books in Berkeley, is a sobering must-read. It's not just Howard's bracing stoicism in the face of a pancreatic cancer diagnosis, that marks his store's end as much as it does his, that gets you ("There's nothing to say," Howard is quoted as saying. "People die. We all die. Businesses end"). It is also the melancholy realization that the Bibliophile, is to some extent, becoming an endangered species as the dematerialization of the book continues.
Most Commented On
- Student protesters file claim against City College and SF - July 24, 2014
- Cash backwards - July 24, 2014
- Greg join Walmart investors - July 24, 2014
- Beach Chalet Ballot Initiative - July 24, 2014
- The US spends billions to fight Ebola and Marburg too - July 24, 2014
- BUgBvGEJFp - July 24, 2014
- And yet Israel spends millions to fight it. - July 24, 2014
- Your Imagination - July 24, 2014
- It's a complicated issue - July 24, 2014
- this doesn't even make sense - July 24, 2014