Wednesday night, I checked out the Death and Taxes party at Austin's new Beauty Bar, owned by Trail of the Dead's Jason and open all of three days, he told me. He seemed to be coping well with his anarchic new life as a bar owner (the fiancee ran up to tell him he shouldn't treat people to multiple rounds of drinks). This place used to be a car repair joint -- above the conversation pit, former Bay Area- and now NYC-based rapper and Stanford grad MC Lars was playing old school hip-hop.
MC Lars stoops to DJ.
Z is for "zany": The costumed, manic Japanese punk combo Peelander-Z drummed up an audience outside their show on packed Sixth Street. Can I get some ham with my band?
Darlington, UK, art-punk group We Start Fires got some fellahs hot under the collar -- all while making ragged but right-on Fall-like rock. "You're sexy!" someone yelled. "American men are so nice," the keyboardist said demurely.
Thursday afternoon, at the Kill Rock Stars/5RC day party, Panther broke out the nasty now-I-lay-me-down dance steps for the small but psyched crowd. And there was no KFC from KRS! Just plenty of that SXSW party staple: BBQ pork and chicken, beans, cole slaw, and white bread. Can't forget the sliced white bread.
Spider and the Webs also performed at the KRS/5RC soiree. Maggie Vail of the Bangs, who works for KRS, jumped up to sing backup vocals.
Thursday night, I slipped into the secret Beastie Boys 7 pm show at Stubb's. Kewl to see the three without costumes, close up. But you're going to have to trust me on this: My digital camera pooped out far too soon. Ask me to show you my cell phone camcorder "short films."
SXSW gets it up for Ad-Rock.
Most Commented On
- CGtmnZFBqyOGkGDYy - April 20, 2014
- udWmivkWKLMee - April 20, 2014
- Why there is so much comment spam here - April 20, 2014
- AplOIZTpfssGOjYKaep - April 20, 2014
- JNZWrWFogTNyokZG - April 20, 2014
- It's National Running Day! Motivate yo'self with these classic - April 20, 2014
- LWraEqRQcSXZsnwl - April 20, 2014
- The Nigerian spellcasters and Chinese spammers contribute - April 20, 2014
- Let us praise the Guardian - April 20, 2014
- While Marke nurses a cocaine hangover - April 20, 2014